GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Sillah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:51:52 +0000
Hello Everyone,

Greetings from recycled Gambia where almost everyone
is putting on heavy winter clothes because of the
unusual weather.Tempratures are between 12 and 14oC
Well all the same we are coping. Back to the issue
now...am sure most of you might have heard my report
on the BBC this evening that the Gambia government has
asked the UE to replace it country representative to
the Gambia because of allegations of 'hidden agenda'
on the part of the deplomat and what the government
calls his contemptious attitudes towards the
authorities here. You will all remember that this is
the second time the country has been asking for a
replacement of a top foriegn deplomat the first being
the case of the deputy British high commissioner  six
months ago. Now it is the case of George Marc Andrea
the EU representative to the country. Our
representative in Brussels on December 26th sent a
letter to the EU asking for Andrea's replacement if
the friendship that exists between the EU and the
Gambia is to continue.  We all recognise the fact that
the  sovereignity of countries has to be respected but
the question that we at the same time should ask
ourslves is in the case of the Gambia:is it
interference or open paranioa on the part of the
authorities. We should all start debating on this as
the country cannot afford to be at odds with just
everyone. Am too busy here but expect my comments on
this issue.

E Sillah