GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:02:07 -0700
 For the past few days i was not feeling ok,but i have
no choice but to show my support to those ten gallant
journalists who refused to be used by Yahya Jammeh and
Baba Jobe.

I am deeply troubled by reports that the daily
Observer management was trying to use the staff to
suppress the voice of the UDP and for that matter the
voice of the people.Lamin waa Juwara is the organizing
secretary of the party by that virtue he is the spoke
person of the party.

It is sad that the management of the paper would allow
Baba Jobe who is a UN declared criminal to restrict
the paper from disseminating useful,impartial and
objective information to gambians.

 These resignations are victory for the journalism
profession in the country and it further shows that no
honest person would allow a gang of selfish
individuals to buy his/her integrity.It further
reveals why Demba Jawo who was one time the
editor-in-chief of the paper was sacked by the same
agents of the ruling APRC Government in other to
restrict free information.

The management must remember that free and independent
functioning press is essential to any society that
need to be accountable.

Finally,i hope the management would stop it cheap
propaganda and engage the ex-editor-in-chief Paschal
Eze and his team in dialogue to return back to their
work and assure them that no body would interfere in
their editorial work.

 If this is not done,we will call on Gambians to
boycott buying the paper in an other word to impose an
economic sanction on the paper then Jammeh and his
ruling party will buy their false propaganda.
Saihou