GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 10:30:41 PDT
Mr Jassey:

To tell you the truth, I did not - initially - want to answer your question
for reasons I'll keep to myself; but I thought I should nonetheless give you
a short reply. Besides, I am also tired, having just posted a long article
to the Gambia L. Anyway, this is my response to you:

First of all, what did one of my sources say the other day? He had said that
"Yaya Jammeh is CONTEMPLATING taking or granting himself an 18 month long
medical leave". And he, the source, had also indicated that he had seen a
confidential Cabinet memo to that effect.

Now, the first point to note is that he, the source, did not say that Yaya
Jammeh WILL take a medical leave. Rather, he, the source, said that Mr
Jammeh was CONTEMPLATING granting himself a medical leave. In other words,
Jammeh is or was CONSIDERING taking a medical leave. And in fact that is
still the truth, according to my source.

However, when the Independent newspaper reported the rumours of Yaya
Jammeh's intention to take such a long medical leave, the Government, as it
were, was obliged to react or issue statement, given the huge public
concerns/interests in the matter.

Now, if you understand the dynamics of politics as I do, then you wouldn't
be surprised if Fatou Jahumpa-Ceesay had denied the story. By the way, Mr
Jassey, always remember that Fatou's job is to do a good Public Relations
(PR) for Mr Jammeh and his regime. And don't underrate her ability....

Anyway, having read the minds of the Gambian public, in the wake of the
publication of the story in the Gambia, but, more importantly, having also
realised that Yaya Jammeh taking an 18 month long medical leave would be an
unwise move, she, or the government, was obliged to deny the story, at
least, for now. Fatou is simply doing a PR job, if you will, for Yaya Jammeh
and the government.

For instance, she said that the Independent newspaper went and published the
said story without even trying to confirm it with the relevant government
officials. Do you really believe her? I am not in the Gambia, but knowing
how the media operates, be rest assured that the Independent newspaper would
have made several attempts to get confirmation, or denial, of the story from
the government, before going to press.

However, contrary to what Fatou is insinuating, I am convinced that no one
in government would have been willing, or availed himself or herself, to
talk to the Independent newspaper about the issue.

Anyway, I did check with my source once again, and he said that despite
Fatou Jahumpa's denial, Yaya Jammeh is still contemplating taking medical
leave.

By the way, publicly, Fatou Jahumpa will try to discredit my sources in the
Gambia, but, privately, she and the government are, of course, convinced
that someone in their midst, is definitely telling me somethings about the
regime. And, believe me, they are indeed worried! Interestingly, Alan Mboge,
who is also on Gambia L, is presently visiting Birmingham.

And when he came to my house the other day, and saw some confidential
Cabinet documents, he was shocked and thus remarked: "Ebrima, you know I had
thought that you were cooking these stories about the Government on the L.
But with these Cabinet documents in your flat, I am now convinced that
indeed someone in the Government is feeding you with information about the
regime"....

Now, Mr Jassey, let me tell you the latest in the country which would also
confirm that Yaya Jammeh is indeed feeling the pressure. Do you know what
happened? Well, Yaya Jammeh invited George Christenson of Radio 1 F.M, and
begged him to let off, or edit, some of the criticisms of him (Jammeh), his
regime and supporters, on Radio 1 FM. Believe me, he was begging George of
Radio 1 FM on his knees.

But true to his democratic principles, George listened to him patiently, and
then went about with his very good radio programmes. I wish you and I could
listen to George's programmes, because they are superb, I am told.

Meanwhile, Fatou Jahumpa is busy, I am told, trying to coax the women of
Foni and Kombo North to her "million mum match" on Thursday. Good luck to
her!

Ebrima Ceesay
Birmingham, UK