GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Omar Hatab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:32:30 -0000
JANTAJI, THE SUN BOSS
By Baba Galleh Jallow

Yapat pressed his foot on the accelerator and sent the brand new pajero
dancing merrily on the sea of potholes that characterized all the roads in
our little town. Any sign of slowing down drew a command from the angry
Afang Tulubay. Faster Yapat! Faster! he growled. And Yapat groaned and
pressed harder, and his exhaust pipe gaily purred as they danced on the
never-ending sea of potholes towards the distant village of Fookunda.
Afang Kangtei Tulubay could just not wait to see the dreadful Jalang Kutubu,
lord of the darkness, red in tooth and claw. He just could not wait to put
all those ungrateful blokes in their miserable places. He could not wait to
let them know that it was not for nothing that he was called Tiger, the fire
that burnt without a flame, Seydina, the sword that cut without a blade. It
was not for nothing that he was called Nyawuleng, the red-eyed cock that
flew without wings! Barawula, the ram that butted without horns! Jahatu, the
scorpion that stung without a tail! Above all, he would let them see that it
was not for nothing that he was called Jantaji, the Sun Boss, who shone
everywhere and saw everything.
Yes, the Sun Boss. That was how Afang Kangtei Tulubay was called by his most
faithful cronies, the members of the prestigious Kangtei Tulubay Fan Club.
Those were the famous Coolface Hotmouths, the Smoothcheek Roughies, the
Quietlip Loudies and the Badman Goodies of our little town, not forgetting
those high-class ladies, the Haja Jerejef Jefatis and Momkai Mungifis,
without whose welcome presence the Kangtei Tulubay Fan Club would not have
achieved such great renown. For our eminent madams were endowed with a
glittering combination of wit, humour and razor-sharp oratory that tickled
our common townsfolk and sent them gleefully dancing with joy. They were
also experts in the rare art of singing, which, over and above all other
factors, contributed to the immense business success of Huffhaff Enterprises
and the ever-increasing fame of the Sun Boss himself. When these our famous
ladies of the presumption, dressed in the beautiful colours of the peacock,
their faces painted with the bright colours of the rainbow, sat on either
side of our great Afang Kangtei Tulubay at fan club meetings, it was just
such a delight to watch.
In moments of intense revelry and pleasant merry-making, Afang Kangtei
Tulubay would speak proudly of his ‘satellites’, by which he meant those
eminent ladies and gentlemen of our little town who made up the prominent
membership of the Kangtei Tulubay Fan Club. All those jealous fools who
called him names and refused to call him sir were certainly not worthy of
being members of his prestigious fan club. And that was why they were so
bitter. But let them just wait till he puts in place his powerful Operation
Cyber Smart. He would show them that he was Ratahal, the whip that struck
without rising!
After about two hours thirty minutes on the main road, Yapat slowed down and
swerved into a bush road leading towards Fookunda. An experienced driver,
Yapat knew the topography of our land inside out. He knew exactly how to get
to Fookunda. Afang Kangtei grunted contentedly as he surveyed the scenery, a
distant look in his eyes. Drive Yapat, drive, he ordered.