GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 19:45:59 GMT
Kebba,

You shouldn't have sweat this one at all. Personally, I'm resigned to the
fact that no amount/deluge of facts or logic will open some people's eyes.
So let them keep snoring in their deep slumber! If you're at a loss for an
explanation, go with the ugly moto of Car Salesmen: "a sucker is born every
minute!"
After what happened in April, it's really mind-boggling that anyone outside
the Yaya Jammeh circles will fail to see the issue you raised about this
type of "aid" from the Brits. I just can't believe that anyone could be that
slow in the head. It's not a shame - it's a tragedy!

When we're done with Yaya, I'll suggest that we wage a war on mental
laziness. The mental lethargy exhibited by this Kondeh fellow is partly to
blame for the mess we're in. If a significant number of Gambians would only
make a little effort to use their mental faculties, we'll be able to
forestall many of the problems we find ourselves in. But, the sad truth is,
that is simply not the case. What we often term "naivete" is in fact mental
lethargy, or slow-thinking. Period. That defect manifests itself in ways
similar (but not limited) to this Kondeh guy swallowing this ridiculous
notion that the military "aid" given by the Brits is appropriate at this
stage of our national evolution. I saw other manifestations of this same
defect on the video of Yaya Jammeh's "100 feet deep speech" last weekend.
(I'll put out my thoughts about that video when I have time this weekend.)
But, overall, common sense is so very uncommon among our people that you
really have to wonder if something didn't go terribly wrong somewhere in
nature's scheme of things. There HAS to be an explanation for why so many of
our people are so slow. I refuse to accept this fact as normal.

Saul.