GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Simon Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:22:51 -0800
Yero Mama,
        I really have in mind that there are a lot of mental
deficiency folks of your type who claims to be
intellects but the article from the Independent
confirms that.  However, it is not a surprise to me to
realize such a deficiency in you and your boss since
it is only common with wild animals to kill youngsters
and ok with it.  Not person in his or her right mind
will see that and considered it ok.  It is obvious to
everyone in this list that you and Yahya’s press
singers are the sick-minded in the history of mankind.
 It is really sad when someone is sick and his or her
sickness affects others.  I will take Mboge’s advice
and leave you idiots alone.  I will not waste my
valuable time to engage such a discussion since we are
at a different frequency. You need to check yourself,
just an advice.
Peace!
Simon .

This is from Independent.

''60 percent Gambians have mental or behavioural
disorder''
The number of psychiatric cases is on the increase in
The Gambia according to a career psychiatric nurse at
the Campama Psychiatric Unit. Basing his assertions on
a hypothesis from the community mental health team Pa
Bakary Sonko claimed that mental or behavioural cases
among Gambians have increased to about sixty percent
over the last couple of years.
In an exclusive interview with The Independent at the
Campama Psychiatric unit, the career psychiatric nurse
said the mental health situation of Gambians gauged
from a broad spectrum shows that it is not only people
who have vigrant or psychiatric disorder in the
streets who fall into the bracket.
He said it also include a good number of Gambians who
are otherwise seen as normal persons bearing traces of
behavioural disorders. He further noted that even the
remaining 40 percent without mental disorder are
characterized by people with relative neurotic
disorder.
In this vein he argued that in relation to
pathological disorder, people diagnosed with mental
illnesses have mania depression, and anxiety disorder.
He observed that over a considerable amount of time
people with physical symptom of mental disorder and
behavioral problems visit mental health clinics or
general OPD medical clinics.
He said such people talk to themselves in the streets
while others are afflicted with forgetfulness by way
of misplacing things without remembering where they
had placed them. On the many causative factors he said
the exposure of people to harmful substances like
alcohol, cannabis, heroin and the lack of jobs
compounded by socio economic and political
uncertainties are mainly responsible for
post-traumatic stress disorders among many Gambians.
He also observed that people with family and
employment problems are rendered emotionally unsettled
accounting for a socio cultural factor. Sonko also
referred to the culture of silence attending the
situation because of the danger of losing one’s job or
being ostracized from society should one report his
problem.
He also said that there is also an accompanying sense
of insecurity among people who cannot take family
responsibility or help relatives amidst social and
political changes in which some people are killed or
imprisoned. He said people who are affected directly
or indirectly are normally left traumatised by the
experience. He suggested that anger, frustration, and
other related emotional distress could be pent-up to
render a given individual as a human volcano of
emotions.