GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 01:28:31 -0500
Comrades:

My recent endorsement of NCP's acceptance of an olive
branch from the APRC is by no means a surrender of my
principles.  My acceptance is based on reality and
understanding that we have more at stake than meets the
eye.

We in NCP are interested in national development, and
if called by the government to duty, we will accept will
the full understanding that there are more inconsistencies
that we will proudly appeal the APRC to correct.  The
opposition in our belief has a vital role to play in
the development of our country.

I will not be a prisoner of thoughts in engaging the
APRC/NCP.  My acceptance of putting The Gambia first is
conditional.  I know this is a dangerous and calculated
risk, but I am willing to give President Jammeh the
benefit of the doubt.

I am, however, concerned with the following things:
1. The continued imprisionment of Dumo, Lalo Jaiteh, and
   and company.
2. The continuous firing of Gambians in the civil service
   sector.
3. The detention of journalist Mr. MBye and continuous
   arrest of Gambians by the NIA and many other issues.

I know clearly that some in the opposition will say then
why are you endorsing this risky coalition?  My approach
is centralized political thought with a kinder and
gentler approach.

For development to take place, Gambians must have the
freedom to express themselves.  The legal system has to be
fair and consistent.  Laws that regulate human behavior
determine how individuals interact and relate to the laws
of the land.  The Gambia's legal system needs to be based
on code or civil laws and also nonleglistic
orientations.  These kinds of systems encourage experimentation
and permition of exercise judgment.  The executive branch should
have no control on judicial interpretations.

The level of economic and political developments affects
every Gambian.  For a viable and sustainable development
to take place, the new APRC and NCP coalition must be
willing to accept individual thought and tolerance.  This
I believe, is inclusive of the opposition.

In this short narration, I am disclosing that I am
willing to take a risk for a change in the operating
style of leadership in The Gambia.  Being part of the
APRC/NCP coalition is by no means a surrender of my
principles.  While I endorse this marriage, I want to
make it abundantly clear that I will use my independent
judgment objectively in appealing for tolerance.  This
approach is a kinder and gentler political risk.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh
Greensboro, NC/Kombo East Constituency

http://mail2web.com/ .