GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:43:07 PST
Gambia L,

I am forwarding these jobs being advertised by the African Development Bank
(ADB), which is based/headquartered in Ivory Coast. And I would encourage
Gambians with the relevant qualifications and experience to apply. Believe
me, Abidjan, if you have the buck, is a nice place to live.(laugh)

Anyway, the vacancies at the ADB have been sent to me, for wider
distribution, by Sidi Sanneh, a leading Gambian Economist, who is now an
Executive Director at the ADB.

I know Sidi WILL NOT like to read this, but I must take the opportunity to
say, publicly on the L, that I have the greatest respect and admiration for
Sidi Sanneh, both as a parent and a technocrat.

And, in fact, all Gambians should be proud of him, because he is doing a
tremendously good job, on behalf of West Africa and Sudan, at the ADB.

And I must also say that I was quite elated to have recently learnt that one
of Sidi's children, Fatuma Sanneh, is a Programme Officer in the West Africa
Department of the highly respected/prestigious Washington DC based United
States National Democratic Institute (NDI).

Some of you on the L would remember the NDI. They did work, for a brief
period, in the Gambia, during the transition period. By the way, those
Gambians in the DC area, who are interested in consolidating democracy in
Africa in general, and the Gambia in particular, should find time to visit
the NDI, and exchange ideas, or engage in debates with the staff there.

I am sure the doors of the NDI's Director of the Africa Department,
Christopher Fumonyo, an Afican himself from Cameroon, would be open to you.
Christopher is a nice guy, and he is also quite familiar with Gambian
politics.

Anyway back to the ADB issue now. Prior to his appointment to the post of
Executive Director, Sidi was a Special Assistant to the Bank's Executive
Director responsible for the West Africa Department, where he, Sidi, had
established himself as a leading African economist/technocrat. Since he
joined the Bank, some years ago, his contributions to the West African
economics fronts have been remarkable.

By the way, Gambia L, I visited the ADB late 1995, with the current Vice
President, Isatou Njie-Saidy, and others; and I, for one, was very
impressed, or should I say proud, to have learnt of the fact that the
Gambian employees of the ADB were among the Bank's most competent staff.

We met Lamin Manneh and Alagie ceesay, both French/English/French
interpreters of the Bank at the time. Other Gambians at the Bank, at the
time, included Salieu Jack, a computer analyst; one Mr Cole, a very senior
official; another Lamin Manneh, an economist; Saul Njie, the former football
commentator; a Mr Grey-Johnson; a Mr Cham.

At the time, M.L Auber and Ebou Taal were also working for the Bank. Oh! I
am forgetting all the names of the Gambians who were at the Bank at the
time.

But, generally, the Gambians staff of the ADB, like Gambians in other
international bodies, are highly respected for their competence and
commitment to the job.

In fact, I am told that more Gambians have since joined the ADB; and they
include Ken Johm, the Agricultural economist; Dr Pap John Williams and
Sereign Papa Jallow, formerly of NAWEC and HABITAT.

Again, I am encouraging those Gambia L members with the relevant
qualifications - even without the necessary experience - to apply. My former
editor, Kenneth Best, would often say "you never try, you never know". The
posts being advertised are reproduced below in an e-mail I received from
Sidi Sanneh.

Ebrima Ceesay,
Birmingham, UK.