GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 20:15:35 EDT
Yahya,

I will get you references to my answers and come back to you, but I will
briefly attempt to answer your questions below. Please see my answers after
each question.

> (1)Is there any part in the Holy Quran that states that muslims can make a
> "will"?(a testament to indicate the way in which their properties should be
> shared among their families if they die)

ANSWER: The Qur'an already gives exact directions as to what goes to whom
among your family members and spouse when a muslim dies. I shall get you the
exact chapter where this can be found, or brother Habib or anyone else who
has this at tHE tips of their fingertips can junp in here.

> (2)We as muslims, if we deposit our money in a bank for certain period of
> time and the bank pays interests on our money is that interest(s)considered
> as something forbidden by islam "HAARAM"?

ANSWER: Ribba or interest is Haram according to the Prophet (SAS), it is
haram ot charge someone Ribba, as well as to eat it. There is a hadith  of
the Prophet (SAS) that says on the day of judgement, a person who eats Ribba
will be put into a sea of blood guarded by fierce looking angels, and every
time they try to climb out, they will be pushed back in. Charging Ribba is
haram because it places a hardship on the person borrowing money, and makes
it almost impossible for them to ever finish repaying the debt. In Islam, it
is permissible to lend someone money; say for a business venture, and then
make an agreement with them to give you a set percentage of their returns for
a specified period of time only, after which you are finished with them. This
is the principle  used by Islamic banks.

> (3)What are the conditions that will make someone to marry a second wife
> whiles your first marriage is still subsisting?

Qur'an says that a muslim can marry more than one wife. However, I believe
that he must have the consent and permission of the first wife, or his other
wives in the case where he already has more than one. If a man signs  an
agreement with his first wife not to marry any other wives, he has to abide
by that contract.
The Prophet ( SAS) married other wives as a way to help them if they were
widows with children for example. Marrying more than one wife is perissible,
but not obligatory.
It goes without saying that some muslim men use this as an excuse to marry as
many women as is allowable without giving thought to the financial  and other
implications. Above all else, Islam places a great deal of importance in
taking good care of ones' family, and this means making sure they are
comfortable, and if one is finally strapped, it is harldy a good decision to
marry another wife. Therefore, good judgement is important.

I will try to find references to my answers and post them.

Jabou Joh