GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
TOMBONG SAIDY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 08:39:31 -0500
Lers,

The Gambia has gone through two fair and free elections, the Presidential
elections and the National Assembly elections. Thank God the elections were
conducted peacefully. President Jammeh and the APRC have been given another
five mandates. The people have spoken and we should respect that.

It is now time to move on and for each of us to continue our various roles
in the development of The Gambia. Let us continue the debate over the future
of our country, however let's do it in a mature and constructive manner. I
am an APRC, or better yet an AFPRC supporter and I will remain to be so as
long as it takes, while some of you will remain to be anti-Jammeh for as
long as it takes no matter what. These are constant equations. Now let us
debate for the sake of Gambia and see how best we can make The Gambia a
better place for our kids. I applaud Mr. Jassey-Conteh and the others for
finally seeing the light and for being brave enough to say it.

The results of the National Assembly elections are a good manifestation of
how democratic The Gambia is. With all the resources of the APRC, NRP and
PDOIS were able to win three seats. We cannot have better opposition
candidates than Hamat Bah, Sidia Jatta and Halifa Sallah. Their presence in
the National Assembly will definitely make a big difference. Let us respect
the verdict of the people and move on.

UDP has made the biggest mistake of their political live. The boycott marks
the end of the UDP/PPP Alliance. Unfortunately they did not learn from the
mistake of Ouattara in Ivory Coast. The UDP is dead and choosing to stay out
of the National Assembly for the next five years is a big mistake. They will
never catch up. I predict that there will be splinter parties from the UDP
proper. Despite the boycott, a little more than 57% of the electorate within
the 15 concerned constituencies voted.

President Jawara is due back, Sheriff Mustapha Dibba has formed an alliance
with President Jammeh, President Jammeh has been elected for another five
and the UDP is dead. What better can we ask for?

Some have been making noise for the past two years and it is time to face
reality work together for a better Gambia. I know it is a bitter pill to
swallow, but just try.

Let us change the debate format or improve it a little by debating issues
and policies on weekly basis. Let us cut down on the name-calling and tackle
each other with facts and issues relevant to the development of The Gambia.

Let's move on brothers and sisters. We are moving on from this end.

PEACE

Tombong