GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:16:42 EDT
Ms. Jagne, thank you for your efforts. Every effort to unmask the Devil we
have back home, counts. We also thank Hamjatta and Ebrima Ceesay. That was a
fantastic articulation of the issues. The British action in restoring
military cooperation with the renegade regime we have back home, is
indefensible. All the ambassador had to do, was to look at Peter Singhateh
and Jatta in order to see whether training soldiers from Sandhurst had a
positive effect on the innocent Gambians. I would have had more respect for
the ambassador had he come out and said that the purpose of this cooperation
is to ensure that next time there is turmoil in Sierra Leone, Gambian
(instead of British) soldiers will be sent to fight rebels. That is what
this is all about. The ambassador himself admitted that sending that
nonentity to Sandhurst was just the beginning of a more fruitful
relationship (for Yaya and Britain). So if we do not stop them, the next
time around, we would be reading in the press that Britain is sending tanks
and heavy weaponry to Gambia. That is why we commend your efforts and those
of other Gambians that registered their disgust with the British government.
It is the prerogative of the British government to ally themselves with a
child murderer, rapist, thief and coward of the caliber of Yaya. It is also
our duty to hold the British government accountable. They have to reconcile
this illogical move with their rhetoric about an ethical foreign policy. We
have to let the British tax-payers know that their government is sending
their tax pounds in order to support a Gaddafi ally that would not hesitate
to unleash brute force on his citizens. Again, we join you and reiterate
that there are numerous areas in which the British can give us assistance.
Beefing up Yaya's brute machine is NOT one of those areas. We do not have
far to look. What has Singhateh and Jatta done for us lately? I cannot think
of anything apart from the massacre of innocent and defenseless children in
broad daylight. So since the British cannot guarantee us that the soldiers
they train will turn our right, they should cease military cooperation that
has the only effect of further arming Yaya. The life of Gambian children is
too precious to be wasted on the farfetched theory the ambassador used in
order to justify the British action. What is there to show us that these
soldiers they are training would not turn out to be other Idi Amins?
KB