GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:35:58 EDT
G-L,

I just spoke with a friend who called Gambia today and was told the following:

*Soldiers had gone into some classrooms and beaten students who were in the
process of taking an exam, and had them do monkey dances.

* The dead bodies of students are begining to decompose and Yaya Jammeh has
ordered that no one be buried until he returns from whereever he is.

* One mother went to claim her dead child, and was detained by the soldiers
and put in jail.

* The Soldiers have held a press conference this morning stating that it was
the students who had weapons.

* There is some speculation that the soldiers  who opened fire on the
students are ex-rebels from Casamance.

PLEASE NOTE: I am sure i read on the L last week or so, that Tombong Saidy
was on the board (or something like that) of Amnesty International in Gambia.
Someone please confirm this. If this is true, we will have to include a
petition to Amnesty protesting this in the strictest terms, and demanding his
removal forthwith. If true, this would be akin to electing the wolf to guard
the sheep.
I predicted yesterday that the denials had already ben started by Essa Bokar
Sey in his posts. Now, they have the audacity to say the students had the
weapons. This is an outrage of the worst kind. These criminals who have
high-jacked our country must be brought before an international court of law
to answer for their crimes. Their ridiculous denials will serve as
incriminating evidence once compared to the facts.These bullets must be
extracted from the bodies of those shot, and tests done to determine which
weapons infact fired the fatal shots.

Jabou Joh