GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
abdul aziz drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
abdul aziz drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:22:40 +0100
G-l,

take a look at some of the reactions from the public are they not blaming
the students when they should stand by them?

ARRESTS

The riot police have been helpless in quelling the riot. Few security
officers were seen with batons and poor riot gear and at the Kanifing
estate/University of The Gambia area; the riot police and students were
reported to be howling stones at each other. At the Radio 1 FM junction, few
arrests were made but unfortunately the arrested students who received some
beating before entering the awaiting military truck were mainly young
schoolgirls. The proprietor of Radio 1 FM, George Christensen who was
earlier talking to the students to go home and stop the violence, intervened
with some elderly persons around. They persuaded the riot police to release
the girls, arguing that they were not involved in the riot. They eventually
rescued most of them. However, a 13-year-old boy, another female student
from Latrikunda Junior Secondary and a motor mechanic who was accused by the
riot police of harbouring the rioters in his workshop were taken away to an
unknown destination.

THE PUBLIC REACTIONS

Most of the people interviewed about the violent demonstration, condemned
the students' action and called for immediate public enquiry into the riots.

A human rights Lawyer, Mary A Samba-Christensen opined that "I think the
students can put in their anger and problems in different ways which would
be more effective, make representations to the attorney-general and to the
president of the republic, instead of frustrating themselves by stopping
vehicles and interrupting services and so on. They can make a peaceful
representation to the relevant authorities and I'm sure with the present
attorney general, he would take it upon himself to ensure that their
problems would be addressed. I regret to see the situation deteriorating to
this level".

Mrs Samba-Christensen advised parents to talk to their children, tell them
the proper ways and means of expressing themselves about their problems,
make proper representation to the right authorities.

An onlooker said that the Secretary of State attempted to address the
students and they disrupted everything. "I support the students
demonstrations but not when it is violent. They should just demonstrate
peacefully and not loot or attack anybody. The paramilitary officers should
find a way to calm them and not to beat the students or shoot at them," she
said.

"We need justice. They have to do something about the death of the student.
Yahya Jammeh should act at once. The fire service officers should be
punished", a woman who was searching for her child said.

"The paramilitary even came to our school, ICE and disturb us where we were
taking our examinations. Some of them shot at us and that also provoked us
to take to the streets", a rioting student said.

The situation is under full control as reports are being filled in from
various parts of the Greater Banjul Area concerning the students' rampage

culled from the gambianet.

A.A Drammeh.