GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 15:35:55 EDT
Buharry,

These are good suggestions since it is clear that the government is doing the
usual, seeing what criticism is levelled at them and then trying to cover
themselves in those areas. It is also an encouragement to be vigilant since
they undoubtedly know that what is said here is exposing them to the World,
and if it saves a life, then let us keep up the heat. Including the
suggestions you made into our plan is vital  to ensuring that the statements
they make are not just empty promises to pacify the people for now.

Jabou

 Hi!

     I think that we need to step back and take stock of our efforts and
their results so far. I have reread the petition and I see that the
government is making overtures regarding some of what is stated in it.
Instead of blanket, reactionary dismissal of anything offered by the
government or being blinded by emotions, I think we should devise strategies
to analyse and come up with recommendations regarding how we can ensure the
achievement of our  goals while remaining firm. Examples of government
overtures are:

 PETITION: -         release the names of those killed and release their
bodies to their relatives for proper burial;

 Tombong has released the names of those killed  and injured. To ensure that
this is the total number, we should accept Tombong's challenge and encourage
all who have missing relatives to report their names to an agreed upon person
or news outlet. I think that Tombong should be thanked for the efforts in
getting and publishing the names of the victims. He could have simply kept
quiet just like the rest of the government.

 PETITION: - ensure that those responsible for the murder of Ebrima Barry and
the rape of Binta Manneh are prosecuted to the maximum extent of the law
without undue delay;

 ATTORNEY GENERAL's STATEMENT: In view of the fact that the credibility of
our criminal justice system is itself on trial, the Attorney General will
take the unusual step of appointing a Public Prosecutor under section 65 of
the Criminal Procedure Code. The Gambia Bar Association, the family of the
deceased, friends of justice (at home or abroad) are invited to suggest names
of lawyers, (both at home and abroad) who can satisfactorily conduct the
prosecution of the
 alleged murders of Ebrima Barry.

 Instead of dismissing the AG's offer, let us take him up on it. He has
suggested that the Bar Association, deceased's families and concerned people
outside can suggest names. Let us first ask him questions like how the
selection procedure will take place, who will make the final selection, the
criteria for making such a selection etc. We should begin work on locating a
lawyer and try to co-ordinate our efforts with the Bar Association and the
families of the deceased.

 PETITION: -  launch an independent enquiry into the shootings and
circumstances surrounding it;

 ATTORNEY GENERAL'S STATEMENT: I have invoked my powers under section 11(1)
of the Coroner's Act, Cap 7.04, and an application is simultaneously being
lodged with the Chief Justice to order that an inquest be held touching on
the death of any persons as a result of the events of the 10th and 11th April
2000. The purpose of the inquest is, of course, to establish whether or not
an offence has been committed by any person, known or unknown.

 What we can do here is to try to influence the make-up of the commission or
try to ensure that it is independent. We should remain vigilant to counter
any attempt to influence the commission. We can also insist that the students
alone are not held responsible but that responsibility for the shootings is
properly placed on those responsible. More suggestions on what we can do can
be forthcoming.

 Maybe Tombong can be helpful in providing the names of students still under
detention and provide us with the number of students charged and released on
bail and the severity of the charges levelled against them.

 We should keep the pressure to ensure that the government sticks by what it
has offered and to ensure that the rest of the petition items are respected.
All the planned activities should be followed.

 At this point, I would like to suggest that we desist from using abusive
language as has been proposed by others earlier. People have vented their
frustrations and now should be the time for sober reflection and action.
Continuing to indulge in abusive language will not help our cause and might
have the negative impact of having people dismiss our seriousness. We have
charted a course and should follow it to ensure that justice prevails but let
us follow that course with dignity, firmness, vigilance and dedication. We
still have a long way to go. Thanks.