GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Yusupha C. Jow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 09:03:52 EDT
Dave:
As KB likes to say, 'you cannot have a bunch of mental midgets doing the jobs
of giants.'

Whatever happened to doctors and technicians on call, or are Gamtel pagers
and/or cell phone a thing for rich Gambians only?  Simply put, the health
authorities should make sure that there is a way to contact every single
essential staff on the numerous occasions when they will be needed for
emergencies.  But then again, the measly salaries made by nurses and other
staff in public health does not justify racing back into the hospital at all
hours of the money.  Compound this with the lack of beds, lack of qualified
doctors, and lack of equipment in these 'big' hospitals, and it becomes
pretty clear that we need a few heavyweights to go into the country and
completely overhaul the way the healthcare system is run in the hopes of
finding a much better and efficient way of doing things.  I know of quite a
few Gambians - even on this list BTW - who are capable wherewithal to
undertake study the feasibility of such reforms.

Dave, I hope your bro gets better soon.  What he went through is totally
uncalled for and should not happen to anyone under any circumstances.

-Yus