GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Mr. O. B. Silla" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:16:27 EDT
Mr. Drammeh,

I am flabbergasted to know that the non-coverage of the National Assembly
proceedings was due to the usual bureaucratic redtapes and not the lacklustre
attitude on the part of GRTS as presumed by most people.  One would have
thought that atleast one of the reasons that justified and necessitated the
setting up of the TV Station is for The Gambian people to know first and
foremost what is going on in their country and the World over in every sphere
of life.  More important for the former reason, is for Gambians to be able to
watch their political representatives debate the welfare of our dear Nation
and evaluate their performances thereafter; if that crucial and important
element is muzzled outrightly, according to your story which sounds utterly
credible.  Then to put it mildly, the Government has fallen back on its
promises to Gambians which is very unfortunate at this moment when the quest
for press freedom is paramount and should be accorded its proper place .  Let
us all remember that this and other crimes were the failings of the former
regime and there should emerge no reason for repeating them.

Therefore, I would urge the Authorities to take a critical look at this
matter and reverse whoever's decision it was, for this is of National concern
and interest and needs to be treated accordingly, to ward off any potential
political discord amongst Gambians.

OBSilla.