GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 03:00:26 PDT
Gambia-L:

The e-mail below is from a concerned Gambian on the ground who also happens
to be a good friend of mine.

Ebrima Ceesay

Hello Ebrima,

There is something worrying all of us here in the Gambia who have got the
country at heart. Ebrima, just imagine this: Last week, the French
government donated two new military jeeps to the Gambia National Army, in
order to help them (GNA) in their mobility and operation tasks.

However, we are all disgusted and outraged by the timing of the whole thing,
because these gifts from the French, had come at a time when our National
Army had just used similar vehicles and equipment, given to them by other
donors, to crush down defenceless school children.

Anyway, as a friend of mine put it to me, the other day, the French are
always interested in seeing Africans outside their colonies, butchered, so
as to further their neo-colonial tactics in Africa.

So, all of you on the Gambia L, should speak out against this kind of
donation for our army, and also urge the army to exercise restraint,
otherwise they (GNA) may try to use the new military jeeps against innocent
civilians at another time.

Anyway, you guys on the L should keep up the good work.  Just keep the
pressure on the regime, because I can confirm to you that the biggest
problem Jammeh is facing right now, is the increased circulation of
the Gambia L postings around the country.

The postings on Gambia L are now found everywhere in the country, even in
the rural areas. People just photocopy and distribute them.

Therefore, those of you who have now made history by condemning Yaya
Jammeh's reign of terror outright are actually household names in the Gambia
of today.

Again, those of you who are supporting the monster are also known throughout
the country. So, please, be aware. The Gambian people now know who their
enemies are, and who their friends are.

If you can't help restore genuine democracy in the Gambia, please, don't
discourage others who are trying to do so.

Thanks

A concerned Gambian