GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 23:14:34 EDT
Issue No. 94/2007, 13–14 August 2007
Editorial
Focus on Local  Government and Tranditional Rulers

This week a chief in Sierra Leone amazed many Gambians when he said over  the
BBC that people of his type should not openly take sides in politics.
He  emphasised that he is a traditional leader who should earn the respect of
all  members of his district regardless of their party affiliation.
In the same  vein, all those interviewed emphasised that they were not
interested in tribal  affiliation; that they needed leaders who can promote the
general  welfare.
This confirms that the system that is put in place can facilitate  the
liberation of a people or ensure their domination.
During the debate  supervised by the Constitutional Review Commission,
Foroyaa did explain that  unlike many West African countries where the colonialists
had compromised with  traditional rulers who governed territories with many
districts and left them to  rule those territories as paramount chiefs, in The
Gambia the traditional rulers  were overthrown and colonial appointees put in
their places. We explained that  the Protectorate Ordinance empowered the
commissioners to give orders to the  chiefs of districts for the general
administration of such districts. The  commissioners recommended the appointment of
chiefs and governors gave  approval.
The chiefs and advisers could recommend the appointment of a  headman or
Alkalo to be approved by commissioners.
Foroyaa explained that the  Provinces and Districts Tribunals Acts maintained
the authority of  Commissioners, Chiefs and Alkalolu or headmen; that an
administrative decision  was made to introduce elections by heads of compounds or
chiefs and Alkalolu  where disputes existed to fill vacancies, but that the
President reserved the  power to remove chiefs.
We recommended for the separation of the judicial  powers of the
Commissioners and Chiefs from their executive powers, and the  introduction of universal
suffrage principles in elections of Chiefs and  Alkalolu, instead of
maintaining property qualifications.
The Constitution of  the second Republic did not separate the judicial
functions of chief with their  executive functions.
Hence the contradiction still remains.
In short,  chiefs are still the Presidents of district tribunals and many
Alkalolu or  headmen are court members. Commissioners still have review powers
over decisions  by members.
Section 120 of the constitution states that district tribunals  are part of
the courts of The Gambia.
It states under section 120 subsection  (3) that:
“In the exercise of their judicial functions, the courts, the  judges and
other holders of judicial office shall be independent and shall be  subject only
to this constitution and the law and, save as provided in this  chapter, shall
not be subject to the control or direction of any other persons  or authority.
”
On the aspect of universal suffrage, the constitution of the  Second Republic
introduced universal suffrage.
A vacant post of chief had to  be filled by universal suffrage.
However, this provision was amended in 2001  and the President was empowered
by the constitution and the Local Government Act  to appoint and remove chiefs
while the Secretary of State for Local Government  is empowered to appoint
and remove Alkalolu or headmen and women.
Now chiefs  and Alkalolu openly declare their support for the APRC and take
part in party  functions. Now commissioners are transformed into governors and
the amended  Local Government Act makes each council to be “answerable to the
governor.”
The APRC regime did not stop there. It has pioneered a law which  establishes
a National Council of Seyfolu which consists of “the paramount Seyfo  and all
the Seyfolu in The Gambia.”
Are we heading towards democracy or  monarchism? Is the system of democracy
being nurtured or is it failing. Are the  traditional rulers carrying out their
functions independent of political  dictation or under political dictation?
The answer is too obvious to the  state.

Musa Saidykhan Gets CNN Award
Seventeen African  journalists have been honoured with the CNN MultiChoice
2007 journalist award in  Cape Town, South Africa, at the weekend. A Gambian
journalist, Musa Saidykhan,  is among the continent’s excellent journalists to be
feted at the symbolic  occasion graced by over 1, 500 distinguished
personalities in the world.
Ugandan investigative journalist, Richard Kavuma of Weekly Observer, was
crowned the highest award.
Kavuma outstripped 1, 669 competing journalists  from over 40 African
countries to lift the coveted prize.
Shola Oshunkeye, a  general editor of Nigeria’s Sun was the previous overall
winner.
Describing  the award as a “recognition for journalism that strives to put
out people at the  forefront,” Kavuma said “the award has “renewed my
dedication to act as a voice  for the voiceless.”
His eight series article on the assessment of Uganda’s  progress towards the
Millennium Development Goals earned him the top prize. He  is a graduate of
Makerere University.
Not all the 26 finalists went home  with prizes in the form of laptop
computers, printers, modem, substantial cash,  among others. Winners were announced
in categories such as general news,  features, sports, health, tourism,
photography, free press Africa, among others.  There were winners from South Africa,
Kenya, Nigeria, Zambia, Zimbabwe, The  Gambia, Cameroon, Mozambique and
Burkina Faso.
Musa Saidykhan, who edited  The Gambia’s bi-weekly newspaper ‘The Independent
’, until its arbitrary closure  on March 28 last year, was feted the free
press Africa award. Musa now lives in  Senegal, where he continues to edit. He
heads the West Africa department of  Afrol News Agency.
He was, earlier on, contracted by The African Editor’s  Forum (TAEF) to do a
four-month study on restrictive media laws in Africa. This  continental body
nominated him for the awards. TAEF cited Musa’s ardent strives  to champion
press freedom in Africa, particularly The Gambia, where press  freedom is still
in transition, as a climate of fear continues to loom over  journalists.
The colourful awards programme, which went alongside a lavish  dinner, was
jointly moderated by Jonathan Mann and Nothemba Madumo, anchors of  CNN’s
INSIGHT Programme and South Africa’s e.tv morning edition, respectively.
The highlights of the awards ceremony will be broadcast in 46 African
countries this weekend. It will also be broadcast in OBE TV in the UK, Africa
Channel in the United States, RTP Africa and CNN’s Inside Africa on 28 July.
Africa’s most celebrated anti-apartheid hero, Nelson Mandela, said he was
honoured to be part of the awards because “journalist working in Africa perform
a social function of immense importance.
“While the award celebrates  individual excellence, it honours all those who
contribute to fulfilling this  function at the same time,” he said, hailing
African journalists for playing a  critical role in bringing information to the
masses of people.
Tony Maddox,  the Executive Vice President and Managing Director of CNN
International, was  fascinated by the growth of the awards this year.
He was delighted that CNN  now has a network of journalist awards that
stretches around the world.
“They came about because of the phenomenal success of CNN’s African awards,
something that all of us here today can be very proud of,” he  said.
MultiChoice’s Chief Executive Officer for Africa, Eben Greyling, said,  “as
we celebrate excellence and fete the winners, please reflect on immense
contribution that good journalism is making to sustain freedoms and improve the
lives of Africans.”
The awards is a brainchild of a Ghanaian, Edward  Boateng, whose Global Media
Alliance sponsored the sports category, which was  won by a Kenyan
journalist, James Wokabi.
At a farewell breakfast, Mr  Boateng asked the honoured journalists to serve
as good ambassadors of the  awards because everything they do, good or bad,
counts a lot.
Over the  years, the awards had transformed the lives and careers of the
winners, with all  of them gaining fellowships to study abroad.
Joel Kibazo, a renowned Ugandan  media consultant, chaired the judging panel
of distinguished media professionals  in Africa. Other panellists included the
executive director of The Punch in  Nigeria, Azubuike Ishiekhwene, Sofie
Ly-Sow of Oxfam West Africa, Liseka Mda,  Managing Editor of South Africa’s City
Press, Anna Umbima, a seasoned  journalist.
Before the curtain was raised on the awards, finalists spent a  week in Cape
Town’s Table Bay Hotel interacting with renowned journalists in the  world.
They toured around the townships, schools, museums, chatted with people  living
with HIV/AIDS as well as climbed the Table Mountain through a cable car.
The programme also featured a forum on a high-level panel discussion on free
press in Africa. Moderated by TAEF chairman, Mathatha T-Sedu, the six
panellists  included journalists from Ethiopia, The Gambia, Nigeria, Malawi, South
Africa  and Ghana.

Canteen Owners Refute Council’s Claim
By Lamin  Fatty
Reports reaching Foroyaa have it that a number of canteen owners in the
Basse Market have expressed shock and disappointment over the announcement made
by the authorities of the Basse Area Council, through the national media, that
D300,000 was spent on the ongoing construction of canteens at the market.
In  an interview with the canteen owners in the market, one Oustass Amadou
Jallow  narrated how he came to The Gambia in 1982 and became a mechanical
foreman until  1986 when retrenchment of staff was done by the former government.
He said he  then decided to engage in business.
He said he was disappointed to learn  that the council claimed to spend
D300,000 on the canteens in the market; when  he spent almost D16,000 on his own
canteen. Sarjo Bah, who also claimed to have  spent 17 years in The Gambia, said
he spent D11, 400 on his own canteen. One  Mamadou Bah, also a canteen owner,
said the Council did not spend even a butut  on the canteens as claimed.
According to Amadou Faal, he spent D16, 000 on  his canteen. Abdourahman
Jallow also said he spent D15, 500 on his canteen. He  said the council
authorities must not pretend that they are the ones financing  the construction of the
canteens.
However, this reporter went to the Basse  Area Council to get their views on
the matter. In an interview the Chairperson  of Basse Area Council, Kanimang
Sanneh, he said the councils are directly  answerable to the Governors as
stated in the Local Government Act. He said it  will therefore be correct to first
get the view of the Governor on the issue. He  stated that he cannot comment
on anything that might contradict the Local  Government Act. When this reporter
contacted the Governor of URR, Alhagie Omar  Khan, he too said he cannot
comment on the matter since he did not know anything  about it despite the fact
that the Council is answerable to him. It could be  recalled that sometime
around end of July it was said that an announcement was  made on the National radio
that Basse Area Council had claimed to have financed  over D300,000 on the
canteens in the said market in  Basse.

State of Mandinaba-Soma Road
As Dismantled Bridges  Remain Unfinished
By Yaya Dampha
The Mandinaba-Soma road, one of the major  highways that link Banjul to the
provinces, is in a very bad condition.
The  Kharafi Construction Company started work on this road, almost, one year
ago. It  graded the dilapidated road and created diversions for the vehicles.
Some of  these diversions, like the ones at Bulock, Kafuta, Ndemban, among
others, pass  through rice fields or close to bridges. Before the rains, it was
not difficult  for vehicles to pass through them, but with the rains, the
diversions became  flooded and muddy.
Recently, the heavy down pour of rain had resulted in the  arrest of traffic
at Bulock bridge where many “Gelegeles” and other vehicles,  including two
trucks, had their wheels stuck in the muddy diversion through a  rice field.
Upon arrival at the bridge, passengers had to disembark and carry  their
luggage on foot across the flooded bridge. While this was going on, the  empty
vehicles, which could not be driven over the bridge, were driven through  the
flooded diversion to pick up their passengers at the other end of the  bridge.
Truck drivers faced greater difficulty upon arrival at this bridge since  they
could not drive through the diversion. Many drivers ended up mobilising  youths
in the area to unload their goods and take them to the other side of the
bridge in order to load them on other vehicles.
From Kanwally to Kalagi, the  condition of the road can only be described as
worse. A journey of less than a  hundred kilometres takes drivers days due to
the poor condition of the road. It  is now common for drivers and commuters to
travel overnight from the Kombos to  Soma.

Brikama Market Cold Store Project
Market Women Express  Concern
By Modou Jonga
The site located at the old garage area at the Brikama Market, earmarked by
the Brikama Area Council (BAC) for the construction of a cold store, is
proving  to be a delicate matter requiring careful handling. According to BAC
sources,  the project is conceived by the Department of State for Fisheries and it
will be  managed by the Brikama Area Council after completion.
In fact, reports have  it that the engineers and architects of a Gambian
consulting firm, GAMECS, were  at the site earmarked for the construction of the
cold store on Thursday 9  August, 2007. But the construction of the cold store
would require relocating  the market women vendors who are sceptical about
their fate. They believe that  they will be evicted without being given a
suitable alternative by the Brikama  Area Council (BAC).
Speaking to this reporter, Jotang Bah, a desperate  vendor, noted that they
had been relocated twice in the past by the BAC. Mrs.  Bah stated that if no
suitable alternative is provided, over a hundred of them  and their families
will be economically affected. She further said that it is  from their business
that they help feed and provide the basic needs for their  families.
Another vendor, Musukebba Fatty, told Foroyaa that they have, on  Thursday 9
August, discussed with the executive of the market committee on the  issue who
assured them that they would intervene on their behalf. She doubts  whether
the BAC has an ideal place to relocate the affected vendors.
She told  this reporter that their representatives would be dispatched to
seek audience  with the chief of Kombo Central and the National Assembly Member
and failing  which they will demand for an audience with the president.
When the vendors  were asked why they did not seek audience with the
management of BAC, they  opined that the BAC has been a huge failure in improving the
standards of the  market and their plight.
A fish trader, Olimatou Jahanneh, noted that she  feeds, shelters, clads and
pays school fees for her four children from the  income derived from her petty
trade. She lamented that her husband is too weak  to fend for the family and
has to do it alone.
Other vendors, including Fatou  Sanyang and Sedi Jabbi, expressed similar
sentiments and frustrations.
When  contacted, the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Brikama Area
Council, Mr.  Serigne Modou Joof, confirmed the presence of engineers and
architects from  GAMECS at the said site to survey the ground prior to the construction
of the  cold store to be built in 2008. PRO Joof said the BAC will be meeting
with  representatives of the concerned vendors at the regional Governor’s
office on  Tuesday 14 August 2007 on the eviction issue and their subsequent
relocation.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
IS MONEY LIFE?
With  Amie Sillah
Part 4
Happy Family
Lang is a family man. He devoted his  life to his family. Hellen lacked
nothing. Hellen is heavy. Lang did the  household chores to the amusement of the
villagers. There was mixed feelings.  Some villagers saw Lang as a hero and
others saw him as a weakling. “How can he  wash plates, cook and sweep for his
wife. That is a woman’s job”. Men and women  argued. Some women protested. “Don’
t allow your husband do household chores. It  will place a curse on your
children. Get a female relative on either side to  come and help.” They advised.
Hellen was confused. She enjoyed the privilege but  was not ready for the
blame. She felt villagers saw her as a bad wife. Lang gave  her courage. “Don’t
mind them. Some are jealous others are ignorant. “No so den  tan dey kin talk!”
What is important is we love ourselves and we will survive.  Allah have bless
our marriage. Our offsprings will equally be blessed because we  will
conceive them in true love and happiness”. Hellen was relaxed. “Words of  wisdom my
love! You are my strength”. Hellen gave her husband a passionate lip  kiss.
Hellen managed to cook a nice soup. She is a good cook. An idea came into  her
head; they ate their delicious groundnut soup with Findi (prepared grain).
They chatted. “Darling! We can establish a modern restaurant with modern kitchen
facilities. I can also relocate my tailoring shop attached to it. The village
is  big and a catchment area. Good, delicious clean food will sell like hot
cakes.  We can establish a timetable each day with peoples’ delicious. What
about that?”  Lang thought hard and said yes! That’s great! Marvellous! Go head!
You have all  my support. I trust your business acumen”.
“How would we call the  restaurant?” Hellen asked. “Hellang kitchen!” Lang
excitedly announced.  “Accepted!” Hellen replied. “Construction commences
immediately”. Lang  instructed. They withdrew money form the bank and built a
modern restaurant with  all modern facilities. Civil servants and expatriates
patronized the facilities.  The business strived. Gambian youths were employed.
Lang told Hellen about  Cheneh. “I understand she was in the village”. “Doing
what in the village? Where  is her husband?” Hellen asked with innocence. “I
learnt she is divorced”.  “Divorced? Why? What happened?” Hellen asked with
concern. “I wouldn’t know”.  “Be careful! Chaneh is trouble. Promise me! Don’
t have anything to do with her.  Chaneh is trouble and evil”. Hellen
cautioned. “Me! What will I do with Chaneh?  A rust iron, when I have my gold and
diamond Hellen! I love you darling  especially that you are going to make me a
proud father. Your love is sweet,  gentle and predictable. Unlike Chaneh whose
love was sour, rough and  unpredictable. I was carried away by lust, attracted to
her physical features  ignoring her evil personal traits”. “Its okay! Let us
talk about us, our baby,  our lives’ Chaneh is in the past tense”. “Sure!”
Lang chorused.

Chaneh And Hellen
Chaneh visited Hellen Tailoring shop next to their  restaurant Hellang’s
kitchen. She came to torment and tease her. “Hellen!” She  called her three
times. “Is this you? Snake under a green grass! You pretended  to mend our
relationship when you were working for yourself. Frustrated  spinster! You never have
love until Lang’s came along. Leave my man! Lang is my  man! He married you
out of pity! He will marry me as a second wife! You bought  him through your
rich uncle but all will be vain. Monkey deh work Baboon dey  eat! Lang is mine! I’
ll get him back’ Ishallah!”
Hellen is not a ‘panka’  (hot-tongued).She was embarrassed because of her
cloth. She hissed. “I’ll not  talk to you. You are a loser. You betrayed Lang
and Allah showed him true love.  You are cursed! Shameless slut! You are
unfaithful to your husband. He sent you  packing. You should be ashamed of yourself!
I don’t have your time. You have  lost Lang forever. He will never take you
back. “Hellen asserted herself. “We  shall see! Lang is weak to my body. He
cannot resist my sensuous body. We are  physically attracted to each other. You
are too cold to arouse Lang’s  sensitivity. I’ll be back, watch your back!”
Chaneh went away in a rage. Hellen  became ashamed of the trainee. “Don’t mind
her madam. Such women are trouble”.  The trainee tried to console Hellen.

Hellen Confronts Lang
She  came home very moody. Lang became confused. Hellen started to shed
emotional  tears. She confronted Lang and questioned him. “Are you seeing Chaneh?”
Lang  started. “Which Chaneh?” “Your Ex!” “Allah forbid!  Why? After what
Chaneh  did to me? What gave you such a ridiculous idea? Even my dead body will
reject  Chaneh!” He reassured his wife. “Why did you say such a thing? Lang
asked”.  “Chaneh came to my shop and blashed me to nonsense. She rubbished me
and talk  with confidence that she will get you back, that you cannot resist
her heat. Are  you hiding anything from me? If you betray me and go back to
Chaneh I’ll kill  myself together with my pregnancy”. Hellen threatened. “Allah
forbid! Don’t ever  swear! Chaneh is bluffing. The devil is shamed! Allah
made His judgment on earth  between us! What she thought and what have happened
is between night and day. I  warned her. Nothing is static! That no position is
permanent. Chaneh fell into  her own folly. Ignore her and stay positive. I
am here for you forever”. He  kissed and reassured Hellen. She became greatly
relieved. “Always be strong my  love! Always be strong for us and the baby.
Hellen nodded her head and  smiled.

Chaneh’s Tricks
Chaneh knew how to get Lang. She studied  and lured him along the bush path
into the village. There were many spots were  they used to play and do romance
during their school days. She stopped his car.  Lang threatened to move and
crush her. He could not. He scolded Chaneh. “You  witch! What do you want from
me? I am married to Hellen, my gold with diamond! I  don’t need you now. You
betrayed me at my time of need. Leave me alone! I don’t  want to hurt my angel.
She is carrying our baby. Leave me Jezebel! Leave me  alone! What do you want
from me?” Chaneh gave Lang a hot lip kiss. He was  overwhelmed and weakened.
He succumbed. “Look at me in the eyes and say  you don’t love me then I’ll go
away and never disturb you again”. Lang became  weak and mute. Chaneh
continued. “Your body is hurt! You cannot resist me! I am  the only woman who can
arouse your sensuality Hellen is too cold for you”. Lang  struggled out of Chaneh’
s grip. “Leave Hellen out of this! Never mention my  wife’s name again.
Hellen is my wife! Never mention her again when dealing with  me”. “Whatever!
Meet me at the same place tomorrow! Bother you again!” She again  gave Lang a hot
lip kiss confusing him all the more.

ASSET Sets Up  Information Centre
By Isatou Bittaye
The Association of Small Scale  Entreprises in Tourism (ASSET), in
collaboration with The Gambia Tourism  Authority, has set up a tourism information
centre, called “Cultural Encounters”  at Timbooktoo bookshop along the Bakau New
Town highway.
Speaking at a press  briefing at the centre on Friday, the development
manager of ASSET, Mr. Daouda  Niang, disclosed that the information centre aims to
expose the cultural  diversity of The Gambia through arts and craft, community
tourism as well as to  promote cultural encounters between hosts and guests.
Mr. Niang added that the  centre also aims to showcase the cultural diversity
of The Gambia, noting that  ASSET wants tourists to learn and know more about
Gambian culture. He indicated  that ASSET aims to assist and support
small-scale enterprises in tourism to  trade fairly and pursue sustainable development,
which will contribute to the  conservation of the physical environment and the
social and economic welfare of  The Gambian community.
Mr. Niang said ASSET’s role in the community is to  contribute in improving
the tourism product in The Gambia, provide assistance to  members with product
development, marketing, training, quality control and  access to finance,
promote networking and joint activities amongst members. He  further said that
ASSET also contributes to sustainable development within The  Gambian tourism
industry by using principles and practices of Fair Trade in  tourism, identify
appropriate quality standards for members and the protection  of Small-Scale
business interests in the mass market tourist industry.
Also  speaking at the briefing, ASSET’s Marketing Manager, Mr. Seedy Conteh
said the  centre is here not only for tourists but also for The Gambian
community, noting  that it  can provide correct information for people. Mr. Conteh
added that  it can also serve as a place for private meetings, and students
coming to buy  books can also sit and glance through the books.
He said that ASSET has  decided to name the centre “Cultural Encounters”
because they are encouraging  our community to interact and socialise within our
culture. Seedy noted that the  centre also has a ‘Mango Cage’ which provides
snacks and drinks in a relaxed  atmosphere and it opens between the hours of
10am and 7pm from Monday to  Saturday. Mr. Conteh urged the people, NGOs,
students and everybody to utilise  the centre as it is there for them.

Tabokoto Coastal Road
A Cause for Concern
By Yaya Dampha
The popular coastal road connection  from Tabokoto to Sinchu Alhagie is now
becoming impassable.
It is less than  four years since this road was constructed. It is however
one of the most short  lived roads in the history of road construction in The
Gambia.
Nowadays,  drivers are finding it extremely difficult to use this road due to
the ditches  and pot-holes along the stretch. The ditches, which are as old
as the road  itself, have now reached the level of trench like Acapulco or
simply called  water canals. This is making travelling to the settlements along
this road  unbearable to drivers. Many vehicles were at one time stuck on this
road to the  extend that some even have water rushing into their carburators or
engines  causing major breakdowns to their vehicles.
It was only a year ago when the  president, during a conducted tour, told the
nation that this particular coastal  road was there waiting for calamity. But
since then, apart from arresting some  of the senior officers at the
Department of State for Works and Infrastructure  and putting a criminal charge on the
permanent secretary, nothing is done about  the road.
Many drivers who spoke to our reporter showed how tired they are of  this
road and called on the authorities not to gloss over the road but to look  deep
into it.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
P.P.P CLOCKS 20 YEARS OF  ITS RULE
HOW DID THE PEOPLE FEEL?
With
Suwaibou Touray
We have been  making steady progress in our drive to narrate and or analyze,
where necessary,  the socio-political history of The Gambia, from pre-colonial
to  post-independence epoch. We have gone a long way in our narration of
events of  the first Republic from 1965 to 1984. We have just started looking into
events  which unfolded in the year 1985.
Let us continue from where we have stopped.
Now that the state of Emergency was lifted, many Gambian intellectuals in
country and in the Diaspora could now express themselves on the political and
economic situation of the country. As for the PPP, the lifting of the State of
Emergency coincided with the 20th anniversary of the PPP in power. The party
in  government made a big celebration of the event but despite that critics
highlighted the party’s weaknesses and attacked it from all angles.
The 20th  anniversary came with unpleasant rumours that political violence,
from “Bomb  threats” to coup d’etat, would disrupt the day. According to the
Torch  newspaper, it was predicted that mothers would be concerned about the
safety of  their children and which might discourage them from allowing their
young ones to  attend the traditional march pass parade at Marcarthy Square,
when the president  Jawara makes a traditional speech to school children on the
occasion. Because of  this rumour, official security was expected to gear up in
the arrangements.
By this time, Mr. Cheyassin Secka’s reported operation at the RVH sent a
wave of sympathy across Gambians, both at home and abroad. The resolve of this
man increased the respect many had for him.
At the hospital, the Torch  managed to speak with Mr. Secka who said he was
pleased to hear the news of his  family in Sierra Leone; that it was more than
what he had bargained for.  According to the Torch, Mr. Secka’s long stresses
of confinement were evident  that the general incoherence, pain, the need to
be believed, a general  deterioration etc made the Torch to fear for his mind.
In the editorial of  the Torch, the paper believed that Mr. Secka made a host
of political mistakes;  that the man’s basic belief in the basic destiny of
his country is unmistakable;  that inspite of horrible public relations at any
level he must be rehabilitated  in the conditions of work he knows how to do
best; that the right to life which  has been restored, should become wholesome.
The Torch expressed the feeling  that this man, Mr. Secka, deserves freedom,
work participation, and as they  euphemistically put it, the country has the
strength to give that.
According  to reports, Mr. Secka’s father, a 73 year old man at the time, Mr.
Ousman C.  Secka said Che told him, “I am under custody but I enjoy, all the
time, the air  of innocence.”
It was the Torch that called on Che’s former university to  plead on his
behalf as he was their old product. They also called on the  University of America
and Columbia, the International Peace Academy, Inns of Law  in London etc not
to keep silent over Secka’s political troubles. The Torch sent  what they
called a silent letter through the   British and US  Embassies in The Gambia.
Many people expressed their joy that the state of  Emergency was a thing of
the past. One Alhagie Kemo Landing Fatty, who lived in  Finland at the time,
summed up the feelings of many . Mr. Fatty felt, among  other things that it was
a great joy to learn that the terrible state of  Emergency is lifted in The
Gambia which he said was a good gesture. He felt that  the jubilation of
Gambians at home must be high; that it certainly must be a  relief for Gambians to
witness the end to the 31 months of state of emergency  which was not only
experienced with permanent wave of arrests and detentions  without charges and
trials, but created a state of confusions, paranoia and  suspicions in the minds
of the people.
‘Since this gesture seems that your  government overcomes the nightmares of
the Putsch,’ he told the president, ‘one  can hope that the records will soon
be clean up by adjusting to Democracy,  Justice and Human Rights’ says Mr.
Fatty. And if Democracy should take its  course, fatty opined that people like
Sosseh Colley, Halifa Sallah, Amie Sillah  Sarr, Musa Ceesay, Jainaba Ba, Sam
Sarr etc should not only have their peace of  mind but the right to have a job
or any document, a citizen has a right to  possess, but the insults and
harassment of NCP supporters especially in the  region of Baddibu should cease to
occur.
Mr. Fatty also adviced the president  to avoid another “Kukoi Samba Sanyang”
that is, to get rid of the conditions  which created “Kukoi” i.e; instead of
higher concentration on the political  opponents and their activities,
managing the economy of the country should be  given the highest priority so as to
combat unemployment, malnutrition,  semi-famine and all the spelling words of
poverty.
Mr. Fatty counselled that  the enemies of the country and the real creators
of “Kukoi” are not political  opponents but the ones who contribute to
deteriorate the national economy with  all forms of economic sabotage including
fraud, bribery, corruptions, and  mismanagement and, as he said, ‘most
unfortunately, a lot of them were still in  disguise.’
Mr. Fatty asked the president to extend the gesture to the prison  walls by
giving amnesty to political prisoners to make it more humane. He  reminded the
president of his own saying to “practice what you preach” and give  chance to
democracy, human rights, peace and national unity  etc.
Feelings of some Gambians in the Diaspora on both the state of  emergency and
the 20 year anniversary of the PPP in power was captured by Mr.  Tombong
Saidy, who thanked God that the state of emergency has been lifted and  that as he
felt, all just and progressive Gambians are now given the green light  to
express their views as regards the political, social, and economic  developments
which befell our beloved nation since July 30 1981.
According to  him, what he called the Kukoi hysteria and the resulting events
have played and  will continue playing significant role in our lives as
Gambians, but opined that  we face reality and call a hoe, a hoe. For Saidy,
Gambian intellectuals are  socially indisciplined, morally corrupt and egoistic and
upon all that,  unproductive. He said instead of being assets, they are
liabilities to the  society; draining an already dry economy.
He criticised intellectuals for  coming back home with the ambition of
self-enrichment; that they are what he  called petty bourgeoisies and economic
saboteurs.
Mr. Saidy was troubled by  the saying of intellectuals that “The country is
hard” but as he asserted they  are not doing anything to solve the problem;
that when one talks to them, they  say, “They don’t want to involve in politics.”
 He said what they fail to know is  that politics is part of our life. The
time has come he opined, for them to let  go their selfish attitude and
contribute positively to the development of the  nation.
Summing up the 20 years of PPP’s existence in government, Mr. Saidy  opined
that since 1965, the achievements of the Jawara administration are rarely
visible nor his political ideology known. He criticized the mono-crop economy
system as unfruitful, the Senegambia confederation as a political nonsense, the
so -called free education as academic mockery and the only successful
achievement was the detention of opposition members. Mr. Tombong Saidy who was
resident in the United States of American concluded by saying, among other  things,
that what we need was a total socio-political and economic  re-orientation to
solve the problem of The Gambia in order to have a stable,  progressive and
respectable living standard. He finally said the country was  controlled in
1985 by a handful of what he referred to as the Mafia, who were in  control of
key financial, political and social positions, and who would  manipulate the
economic wheel of the nation to the direction of their  choice.
‘The Worker Newspaper’ commenting on the lifting of the state of  emergency
as well as the curfew also described the feeling of the people at the  time.
It stated that Gambians, for the first time in the long, virtually  unmemorable
history of the nation, have experienced enforced confinement to  their homes
from dawn to dusk; that it is sad to learn a lesson in such a  painful way but
as they observed, whether accidentally or by design, preconceive  or,
inadvertently, The Gambian people have been embroiled in what they described  as a
holocaust of much abominable magnitude with its devastating  repercussions.
The paper went on to euphemistically assert that it is only a  lesson of this
nature that could digest forever in the minds and memories of The  Gambian
people, and awaken them to safeguard their lives and liberty constantly  without
let up.
See next issue as we steadily pedal into the happenings  towards mid 1985.

Ports are the FA Cup Champions
By Modou  Nyang
Ten men Ports Authority FC managed a lone goal advantage to win the  2007 FA
Cup on Sunday at the Independence Stadium.
Sainey Nyassi’s 71st  minute goal separated the sides as Alasana Jarju was
sent off for a second  bookable offence in the 60th minute. Ports who emerged
stronger in the second  half broke away from the left flank and when the cross
dropped into the Hawks  area, Sainey Nyassi arrived in time to tapped in to the
net and break the  deadlock.
Hawks were the better side in the first half creating most of the  chances.
But as it is nearly becoming a jinx, Coach Joseph Gomez’s boys were  unable to
make their flowing style of play count by squandering the numerous  chances
they created. With the first touch of the ball they showed their  intention to
defend their title and in the 2nd minute Ports’ goal keeper Famara  Njie was
forced into a punching save to deny Hawks a break through and they came  asking
again in the 5th minute, but Lamin Sarr failed to connect as the ball  rolled
out across the Ports gaol area.
But Ports showed their quality  upfront when Pa Modou Jange combined
beautifully with Sainey Nyassi before  Hawks’ defence cleared for a corner. And Jange’
s corner came begging for headers  but Robert Badjie was up to the task as he
responded with a diving punch. Play  intensified and Ports could have been in
the lead in the 32 minute as Hawks were  caught on the break but Gibou
Drammeh failed to cut through into the area  quickly to setup his team mates
allowing Hawks to cover-up.
The second half  was greeted with a red card when Alasana Jarju was given his
marching orders for  a bad challenge on a Hawks player. But the dethroned
league champions appeared  more intent not to allow the season end with them
collected a trophy. And  despite the numerical disadvantage, they pushed forward
for the all important  gaol. Sainey Nyassi’s was at hand in their search for a
breakthrough and his  perfect spot kick was flicked over the bar by Badjie.
But his untiring runs with  the ball inside the opponents’ area was rewarded in
the 71st minute as he ran  timely to do the finishing from a beautiful cross
from the left.
As defeat  presented its self to Hawks right in the face, they struggled to
salvage the  situation. But the defending champions failed to make their
advantage in numbers  count and they paid the heavy price by surrendering their
crown and also the  right to represent The Gambia in next season’s CAF
Confederation  Cup.