GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2006 14:08:37 -0500
Hello, Ndey, Sidibeh, and all, it would seem that if people, whether in
Africa, or even in Mexico, for that matter, could have structures put into
place that could allow them to earn a livelihood, which would allow them to
not only take care of themselves, but put something aside to benefit future
generations of their families, then people wouldn't feel the need to travel
to America or Europe, and risk so much to get there!

     It seems that people leave thier home not because they want to, but
because they see something better somewhere else, that they can't get where
they are.

     For example, I can stay in Tennessee, and to go to college, find a good
job, etc.  However, if a better job comes open somewhere else, that has
better money or benefits, then I'm more likely to go there for that job.

     Or, if I'm somewhere where employment, education, and other resources
are scarce, and I see that I can get these things somewhere else, then I
will go to wherever that "somewhere" is.

     Antoher thing that occurs to me is that when America or Europe
"exports" their standard of living, by TV shows, movies, and other forms of
mass media, I think it further goes to show those in poorer countries what
others have, and they don't.  And I think this is why they look at Europe
and America as some sort of a "promised land", because they see everyone
having cars, homes, money, etc., and they think that if they can just get
over there, then they can have that too.

     However, sometimes, the reality is different than what is exported on
TV.  Because some of our own people are in poverty, can't get access to good
employment, education, or health-care, etc.  The thing is, exploitation is
going on everywhere, whether it's here in America, or in The Gambia.  And my
belief is that the power and control is in the hands of a few influential
people, and the rest of us, or most of us anyway, are at the mercy of that.

     Anyway, hope some of this makes sense.  My head is in a bit of a fog as
I have a cold.

Take care all.

Ginny