GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 15:44:39 +0200
It is now a common knowledge that human beings don't always learn from history
and why one should avoid taking this press release very seriously and
understand it as revolutionary rhetoric far from the reality of the Gambian
people on the ground. After seven years of the reactionary rule of the APRC
regime, that has further marginalized our people to such an extend that the 30
years of neo colonial PPP rule has now qualified as a comforting reminiscence
for our suffering people. The murdering of Students who were demanding nothing
other than a speedy justice could never happen in the name of a revolutionary
regime and responding to such an event in a way that makes the perpetrators of
such a serious crime against our people as heros, is enough evidence as to the
type of government we have. This regime that hold so much contempt to our hard
working farmers, who did not only have their wages delayed but increased their
poverty and hunger to such an extend that a decent meal a day becomes more of
a privilege than a basic human right. Even going by official information, one
would notice that poverty in the country has increase more than double within
the period of the rule of the APRC.
One would further wonder what is revolutionary in the APRC regime when
communal land is being seized from hard working people and handed over to land
speculators who have as their primary objectives to satisfy the luxurious need
of the reactionary petty bourgeoisie instead of Government taking the
responsibility of providing the Gambian masses with decent housing.
What is revolutionary in the APRC regime when stalls etc are bulldozed to
built four lane highways with loans that generations to come will have to
struggle with whiles ordinary people who were struggling for their survival on
these high way were forced to abandon their working place in a humiliating
manner. What is revolutionary with the APRC regime when jet fighters
manoeuvres in the skies at the expense of taxpayers' money, when on the
ground, a parliamentarian, on his way to parliament, found our bear footed
children searching  in the rubbish for something good. What is revolutionary
with the leadership of the APRC when they provide their leader with a private
jet plane whiles our hospitals and clinics are depended on philanthropists to
provide them with basic medical instruments and medications.
  When revolution is substituted for the personality of the individual, we do
not only have the personification of the revolution but also the Godifying of
the Leadership, listen:

"We are of the sincere conviction that the leadership of the Gambian
 revolution is a symbol of hope, a touch of enlightment, shining example, a
 liberation hence and moreover an embodiment of the dreams and aspirations of
 the Gambian masses in particular and African in general. His commitment,
 sincerity and dedication to the course of humanity has been abundantly
 manifested, reflected and demonstrated in all he did and said since and even
 before the advent of the heroic popular revolution of 22 July 1994.
 Inspired by these immortal qualities we resolved to constitute the
 revolutionary youth wing knowing 22nd July,"

Many a time we have seen how a reactionary leadership is being Godify, whether
this is Kim Il Sung or Chairman Mao or Colonel Gaddafi etc.It only shows that
the basic principles of a revolutionary collective leadership is being
manipulated to suit the interest of the Leader and show the true colours of
reactionary so-called revolutionaries as nothing other than political
"merchants". They take the masses as the property of the their so-called
revolution and subject them to a ritual ceremonies, kneeling on their bleeding
knees and look on to the leader as their saviour. Revolution is the creative
reaction of the masses against social, political and economic injustice, both
in thought and in practice. It is which create the conditions on which the
human being both as an individual and part of the collective to advance their
condition for total freedom. To even consider what happened on July 22 as
revolutionary is enough proof of manipulation of the struggle of the Gambian
masses.
The Gambian Youths are not naive, what is revolutionary would not subject them
into a perpetual state of unemployment and humialition, they have seen how the
leadership of the APRC, within 7 years, have provided themselves with enough
privileges, are the Gambian press not speculating that the Gambian president
is one of the richest in the sub region after he the president saying that not
even his grand children will be poor. They have been accused of being
responsible for the food crisis in our country because they are said to
refused to go back to the land and refused to take up jobs which only
foreigners are interested in. Any serious revolutionary government will be at
the services of the youth, it will create better condition for them in all
fields of live, today not a single Gambian youth is without this dream of
leaving the Gambia for greener pastures, this is so because they are betrayed
and humiliated, loitering in the streets, condition in the country is
unbearable for them, they either find their parents with the difficulty of
funding their education etc and denied the basic right to express themselves
and since the army have jet fighters now and not in April 9/10,they will
continue to see the APRC regime as an absolute expression of a repressive
regime.

For Freedom
Saiks