GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
yeks drame <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 03:19:13 PDT
You are a concern citizen, and your points are pure sympathatic.
It is wrong to harash citizens for not carring an ID card with them,
especially when when it was distinguished that only "1999" IDs are
recognised as being legitimate.

First, it is no where in the Gambian constitution that justifies such an
unprecedented act. It was therefore criminal for the authorities to act in
that manner towards the citizens of the Gambia. In a juridisk way a form of
identification cannot only be ID cards.Since they are more often issued by
legal independent institution bodies, like banks, post offices, insurance
companies etc, it is therefore logic to understand that it could have been
enough even to identify oneself with a bank book.However, we are still to
experience such mal- practices even though our autthorities are well aware
and imformed of the policies and operations within their job.

Certainly, a government that rallies behind the people will not act in that
manner- in short if it is a government of the people? Therefore, it will not
be material for the government to entertain such backward policies !  the
interest of the nation should be put on top of the ladda!To be interested
your citizens is part of nation building! To be interested in th citizens of
a nation,a government does not just think of  protection, but as well how to
protect them and in which ways, and this must ofcourse be carried out under
the principles of law and order-purely within the constitutional rigths of
the people.

We are certain that every nation has its own principles of carring out there
laws and order, and these have caused great abuses on the fundamental
priciples of human rights and the principles of demacracy.But under any
circumstances, the intergrity and dignity of the citizens must be respected
and preserved, which is rather unfortunate that the authorities in the
Gambia/Africa have still yet to rectify so that we can be valuable and
dignified citizens of our respective states. We must recognise the value of
intergrity! We must also recognise the state of our people! we must respect
their voice and  the "unable-pronounced pain" they are going through. What
is material is that every human beign diserves to live in harmony! Therefore
a mere ID card should not be used as a weapond to make life a hell  for some
people.

I only hope that they will realise the mistake quickly and even to apologise
to the people who where supressed to such a unconstitutional and iligal act.

Yahya.