GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 08:32:57 -0500
BABA JOBE HELD AGAIN
By Malick Mboob & Sulayman Sowe
Dec 29, 2003, 12:57

House Majority leader Baba Jobe was again taken into police custody
Saturday afternoon at Sibanor, Foni, while returning from a visit to his
native Karantaba, Jarra.
Police spokesman Supt Pah-Amady Jallow confirmed Mr Jobe’s detention but
refused to disclose the location of custody.
“He is still with us but at an undisclosed location,” he noted. Asked why
Mr Jobe was taken into custody again, he curtly replied, “I don’t know.”

However, sources said Mr Jobe was being held at the police training
school, Yundum.
His current detention came hours after the near-fatal shooting of his lead
counsel in his High Court economic crime trial.

Sources hinted that Baba Jobe’s arrest may be linked to the shooting
incident. Other lawyers in his defence team, Edward Gomez, Lamin
Babadinding Jobarteh, Lamin Camara and Lamin Mboge were said to have
visited him at his place of custody and were said to be working on getting
him released.
Baba Jobe was initially arrested on November 13 and held over night at
Banjul Police Headquarters before being charged, arraigned and
subsequently and released on bail. His trial which has since begun was
adjourned on the last hearing date to January 12.

Meanwhile, the spokesman for Baba Jobe’s legal defence team, Mai Fatty,
last evening told Daily Observer that Mr Jobe has neither been told the
reason for his detention nor charged. “His continuous detention is illegal
and a violation of his fundamental rights. I am concerned about the
personal safety of my client and his family as well as the defence team.
We will hold the Gambia Government responsible for the safety of Mr Jobe
and his family and the members of the defence team,” Mr Fatty said.

© Copyright 2003 by Observer Company