GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:32:11 +0000
George, Yus, Saul et al, I agree with your take that we need to overlook our
minor differences of opinion and look at what this effort can do to help us
liberate ourselves - the big picture.  Whatever angle we as a people wish to
take, goes through the Department of Finance and that is a fact of life.  We
have the ideas, the numbers, and the will to liberate ourselves.  What we
now need to complement all these things is financing.  Let's say we all
agree with Hamjata for the opposition to disengage (which I have also
endorsed prior to this exchange) and to lead the people in that direction.
We will need funds to feed the families of those arrested or jailed.  Those
that cannot afford to disengage with an empty stomach have to be fed some
how.  To move about and organize, they would need money to do that.  So, I
am in the same forest with Hamjata, let us not allow the bushes make us
loose sight of why we are in the forest - to liberate ourselves.

Like Karamba and Yus stated, with a unified opposition with finances, we can
mount a fierce fight to straighten the curves of the IEC; the opposition
will be in a better position to make sure that the voter roster is not
padded with aliens; Yaya will not be able to stop them from organizing
rallies, because we will refuse to play his game and have the numbers to
back our stance; We can canvas the length and breadth of the Gambian
landscape and can challenge Yaya and his lies at home and abroad.

Since we do not have millionaires amongst us or that are  willing to
bankroll this fight to liberate Gambia, our butus, cents, pence, etc., is a
humble but a good start.  Yus and Saul also mentioned the need to join hands
and minds together and I agree.  Hamjata is part of this struggle and we
need his and others' talents.  We can raise these funds and also discuss our
strategy.  This fund is not my baby or Dr. Saine's, but Gambia's and friends
of Gambia.  We do not have all the answers either.  Thus, we appealed to all
and sundry for ideas, pledges, and contributions.  This fund is people owned
and people driven.

Imagine a unified opposition that is well financed, that brought all their
grassroots under one tent.  You think Gabriel Roberts would be drunk enough
to try to mess with that force?  You think the army will be ignorant enough
to try to stop a rally and not risk loosing their own lives?  You think the
NIA, July 22 Thugs will be stupid enough to try any dirty tricks and not
loose a limb or two?  We can disband that National Assembly if we see the
need to, and none can stop that force.  We have the force, right now as I
write.  Our task is to bring them together for it to be imposing, and every
dictator recognizes such a force.  We also have something going for the
opposition.  APRC grassroots are also hungry, marginalized, unemployed, and
are just as much impacted by a devalued Dalasi, and they are ready to join
any progressive move to stop their misery.  We have to give them the courage
and strength to join the swelling masses of the opposition.

When we raise these funds, our struggle may not even reach 2006 for us to
effect meaningful change of our situation.  Our people want change badly,
but they are afraid of being singled out.  To overcome that fear, they need
to see their leaders (together) in the frontlines, followed by their
friends, uncles, aunts, mothers and fathers, before they summon the courage
to join in.  They want the reassurance of a familiar face before they can
join.  But it all starts with them seeing their leaders in front.  Those
leaders, however,  need money to help them organize and bring the people
into the fight.

So, to Hamjata and others out there that want to discount this effort
outright, please reconsider.  The opposition need funds to do the things you
recommended.  We are all in this together and the wise counsel from the
members of this list is testament to the resource pool that we can tap.  In
the end, we are going to be asked by our descendants, some day, what did we
do to liberate Gambia when she was at her lowest?  Let us begin to build a
response for that future question, now, by contributing to this fund to help
liberate ourselves.  We owe it to our people and the future.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou