GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 08:54:46 EDT

Bourghibe,

I could not find record of doctoral work by Ajaratou  Njie Saidy. Do  you
know
if it was an honorary doctorate? I am  informed she spent ONE month  at the
univ. college of Swansea for an  MSc. in Econ. I have to figure out  how to
do a
masters in a month or  maybe her prior experience of 5 months at  the
Research
Institute in  the Netherlands in Industrial Mgmt. was accorded  credit toward
the  masters. I have to find that out too I guess. I was also  informed she
spent 2 months at the univ. of the Phillipines for a  certificate in  small
scale
ind inf. mgmt. I will call St. Mary's College in   Maryland to ascertain
doctoral work. If you mean St. Mary's Univ. in  Halifax or  The Gambia Univ.,
please
let me know when you're  able.

I spoke with St. Mary's College in Maryland. They are a 4-year Liberal Arts
College. They do not confer Master's or Doctorate degrees. They did however
inform me that The President of Gambia had given a speech there once and that a
 Professor of Anthropology, Bill Roberts who handles an exchange program with
 Gambia may have conferred or recommended an honorary doctorate on Ajaratou
Isatou Njie Saidy. I was informed that Bill Roberts is not associated with the
 College President's office or the administration of the College. Therefore,
when  he confers honorary degrees, which he may do because he is a private
individual,  It does not go in the Alumni Records or The Registrar's Records
unless the  College itself acknowledges such honor. I have a feeling this may be a
case of  an over-zealous professor given to pomp and pageantry.

It is no wonder H.E. Ajaratou Njie Saidy does not mention this honour on  her
CV.

I could try to reach Bill Roberts and hope to catch him when he's not
teaching a class but for my purposes that will not afford any more value. So
Bourghibe do you mean another St. Mary's College, Saint Mary's Univ., or The  Gambia
University?

Masoud. Haroun MQDT Darbo. AL Khairawan.