GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:56:05 EDT

I had been informed over a year ago, that I am of similar disposition with
His excellency Mahmood Ahmadinijad, President of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Since then I have sought to listen to him at every opportunity. I was not
able  to discern his dispensation because he gives two types of speeches. Those
given  in Iran for local consumption and those given when he is accorded an
international stage. I was however able to distinguish one or two common themes
of Hon. Ahmadinijad.

I will afford myself this opportune privilege to share thoughts on current
global conditions and perceptions.
I will come back to Life and purpose in democracy later. Please forgive the
temporal, if diversion therefrom.

It seems Ahmadinijad and I hold similar views on Democracy and the
underpinnings of a viable democracy. I hasten to add though that he does attach
qualifiers to democracy as he understands it, qualifiers which are unique to  Iran's
culture and people. I am not as familiar with those uniquenesses as the  Hon
Ahmadinijad is and therefore I may not offer opinion on them. One idea I
would liket to share with him is that my understanding of democratic governance
is that Presidents are elected by universal suffrage to preside over the
affairs  of state and its administration. It is burdensome to interpret election as
President to mean assignment as Spokesperson for the people of Iran. The
Presidency must not assume agency as spokesperson for the citizens. They  are two
distinct roles. Further, it is highly improbable that a position of
Spokesperson for all citizens of any nation would be valuable or productive.
Democracy has recognized this difficulty and that is where it is separated from
religion. The prophets had an immense task of explaining that they speak for
God/Allah and they have arguably achieved various levels of acceptance or  success.
That is why they declare faith (sans innovation and query) as the  bedrock of
the religions. It is much harder to convince millions of unique  citizens
that having elected me to oversee the affairs of the nation implies  agency for
speech for them. Democracy however is simultaneously premised on  various
cultures and disparate interests if you will, but that those cultures  and
interests be permitted to speak for themselves without fear of oppression or
subjugation. This is the value of elections and indeed all tenets of democracy  in
national administrations. Without this, democracy is dis-eased. Therefore,  amid
arrests, torture, murder, decimation of intrinsic human rights, it is
difficult to assert with moderate precision that you speak for the nation even  at
international fora. I do agree with Hon. Ahmadinijad though that coercing
agency for speech for another is equally deplorable. There lies the dilemma. I  do
not know if Mahmood, Hon., understands democracy to be an equalizer of
pseudo-democracy, or if he believes democracy is a system or mode of governance  of
a collection of unique individuals who form a nation. I believe in the  latter.

Another area where I'm afraid there may be a divergence of perception would
be the quest for knowledge and discovery. I'm aware, especially in a speech he
 gave at Columbia university that Scientific discovery and inquiry ought not
be  stifled or managed. I hold this same view. I do have trouble marrying that
view  with his management of inquiry and scientific research in Iran. I had
expected  that if he were only interested in Man's capacity and desire for
discovery and  knowledge, he would accord citizens of Iran the freedom to pursue
any area of  study and inquiry and he would encourage unfettered expression in
any and all  disciplines of inquiry. He did plead with us to inquire more into
the cause of  the holocaust which leads me to believe that he does accept the
historical fact  of its occurrence. He urges us to review the circumstances
of the holocaust so  that we may make ammends and prevent its repetition. I
understand him to share  with us that Palestinians did not have anything to do
with the holocaust and I  agree with him as I'm confident all those who are
familiar with that history do.  I join him in pleading with Israel to review the
concerns of Palestinians as  they forge ahead in re-establishing a national
identity. I guess I'm not sure  why the need for more inquiry into the cause of
the holocaust would lead him to  condemn the state of Israel and for all
intents and purposes, to deny Israel's  right to exist. In deference to him though,
he has qualified that submission to  mean the condemnation of Zionism or
expansion of Jewish nationality at the  expense of Palestinian nationality. Perhaps
there will be a convergence of  perspectives soon. One idea I wish to share
here with him is that the allowance  of research and inquiry unfettered does
include the burdens he himself places on  such in Iran. It is not enough to
recognize the fault of others. It is wise to  review our own faults, and to the
extent that contributes to the fault of our  fellow man, we must endeavour to
mitigate them.

I advise the US, Europe, Asia, Africa, South America,  Australia, and Arabia
to support the citizens of their nations and consider  deference to minority
citizens on contentious issues because they have the most  to lose in any
ensuing conflict. I urge Sarcozy and France to tone down  rhetoric of belligerence.
Liberation and Freedom movements are not only a  necessity, they are valuable
in maintaining equilibrium in the geo-political  system.

Haroun Rashid, Al Mutawakkil. MQDT. Darbo.