GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:06:40 EDT
First of all, I wish to take this opportunity to thank Ms. Jagne again for
her efforts. Decent Gambians should emulate what Ms. Jagne is doing and has
done for our dear country and its citizens.
The letter from Mr. Hackett just confirms my earlier views about this whole
debacle. The letter also reinforces my notion that the British government is
insensitive to the plight of the innocent and defenseless Gambian citizens.
This double talk highlights the hypocrisy of this government and makes a
mockery of their 'ethical foreign policy'. Did we not say weeks ago that
this is about Sierra Leone, British troops and the British electorate? At
least Hackett had the decency to admit that. Let us face it, the British
care less about whether Yaya's brute machine will go out and murder innocent
Gambian children. All the British are concerned about, is ways of avoiding
British soldiers being killed in theaters like East Timor, Sierra Leone and
other so called Third World countries. We know where they stand. Our duty is
to condemn them strongly and showcase their insensitivity and hypocrisy. It
is disingenuous for the British to pretend that they are on the side of our
children by claiming that they want justice done on the issue of the April
massacre, yet at the same time, they are helping to further arm the brutal
forces that perpetrated the massacre. This is simple logic. To save the
lives of professional British soldiers, the British are putting the lives of
innocent Gambian children in jeopardy. It is telling that Hackett only
highlighted our government's achievements in the international peacekeeping
arena. He conveniently ignored the blatant human rights violations the
regime is engaged in and will continue to engage in with the support of the
British. I want to let Hackett know that there is no substantive movement in
the case of the massacred victims. The people responsible for those heinous
acts are still roaming the streets of Banjul as free men and women. The
coroner's inquest and subsequent commission of inquiry came up with bogus
findings. These were merely delay tactics employed by the government and
their friends in the EU to thwart the wheels of justice. I repeat that up to
today (more than six months after the massacre), not a single person has
been brought to justice. I would also like to inform Hackett that the UDP
supporters that were ambushed in Basse are still under jeopardy. The
attorney general of our illegal government is still trying to send Ousainou
Darboe and his supporters to jail. The government currently has an
application before the Gambian court of appeal which is aiming at revoking
the bail granted to Ousainou Darboe and his supporters. Thanks to the
ineptitude of the attorney general's chambers, Darboe et al still do not
know their fate because when the attorney general is scheduled to come to
court, he absconds. So the net result is that the matter of the ambush is
still unresolved. Britain and the EU should not take any diplomatic credit
for the state of that case. In the first place, APRC thugs should not have
ambushed the UDP supporters. Secondly, what can be more absurd than 25
people being accused for the murder of one person (the aggressor because he
went to a lawful gathering, uninvited)? Thirdly, how can the Brits reconcile
the fact that Gambian law enforcement was super efficient in this ambush
case, whereas in the case of the massacre of 15 innocent and defenseless
Gambian children, no one has been brought to court to answer charges. I
think Hackett should look for other things to brag about than trying to
defend Yaya's dismal human rights record. Since we are on the subject of the
ambush, what did the Brits do about the dismissal of the magistrate that
ordered the release of Darboe and his supporters. Am not trying to say that
it is the Brits' responsibility to do something about that. All am trying to
say is that, it is gross hypocrisy for the Brits to cite incidents like the
Basse ambush and the formation of a commission of inquiry to look into the
massacre of our children in order to prove that the British are doing a
great job in trying to promote human rights in The Gambia. The British do
not care if the army goes out tomorrow and murder innocent Gambian children.
They do not care if the army sits by and watch APRC thugs butcher political
opponents, burn down properties of innocent Gambians and abduct defenseless
citizens. Case in point is a recent seminar the British organized in order
to bring together law enforcement and human rights activists in The Gambia.
At the seminar, NIA officers stood up and denied ever abducting Gambian
citizens. This was done at a time when people like Dumo were languishing in
jail, incommunicado. The point am trying to make, is that token gestures
like organizing such seminars is neither here nor there. The NIA goes there
and tell blatant lies and go out the following day and abduct innocent
Gambians and torture them. That is the human rights record of Yaya and his
security apparatus. They are not out to protect innocent Gambians. They are
out to protect Yaya at any cost. If it means murdering 15 innocent Gambian
children, so be it.
We also resent the way Hackett was trying to downplay this resumption of aid
by implying that the aid is restricted to taking few officers to Sandhurst.
The British ambassador in The Gambia told his friends in the army that this
was just the beginning. The next we know, Britain will be supplying weapons
to these vermin. People like Hackett should know that they are not dealing
with fools or impotent morons any more. The Yayas and the Edward Singhatehs
of this world are illiterate morons that do not represent what is good in
The Gambia and Gambians. Gone are the days when silly statements like those
given by Hackett will pass muster. Hackett can try all he wants, but he
cannot justify arming Yaya to murder innocent Gambian children. What Hackett
has to realize, is that the primary purpose of our army is to defend the
lives of innocent Gambians, and not to participate in international
peacekeeping missions. I have nothing against international peacekeeping
missions, but the insignificant contributions Gambia makes to such missions
should not be rewarded by this insensitive move from the British.
We again urge the Gambians in Britain to continue their protest on this
matter. The hypocrisy and insensitivity of the British government has to be
unmasked. The British electorate has to be informed of this debacle. I hate
attacking other members of the opposition, but frankly I must express
disappointment in the Jawara camp. How can they let the British get away
with such a despicable act? We are in all this mess because of the
ineptitude of the Jawara regime. They should tirelessly work to ensure that
we get rid of Yaya. Sitting in Britain and watching the British arm Yaya
further is disgraceful. We should let the British know that taxpayer money
is being used to support a despot that boasts about allies like Gaddafi and
Charles Taylor; a despot that is worst than Idi Amin Dada. We should not be
satisfied unless the British admit this fiasco and withdraw their aid to
dictator Yaya.
KB