GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 19:02:19 GMT
Kebba,

I can't resist butting in despite time pressures. First, thanks for holding
the fort. Your vigilance is commendable. I once again agree with your
position on what the banned politicians (especially PPP people) need to do.
The adage "to whom much has been given, much is expected" sums up the
situation very aptly. In truth, PPP people haven't done much for the Gambia
in terms of development. On the other hand, most of them rose from rags to
riches in a short time. It's therefore not too much to ask that they be at
the forefront of the struggle to oust Yaya Jammeh. "They!" created the mess
that made a bumbling, uncouth, and barely literate fellow like Jammeh
"acceptable" to Gambians. People figure if the "decent" PPP people could
behave the way they did, then anybody else deserves a chance. And look where
that's taking us!

Regarding Mr. Jallow's person though, I must confess again that I have
tremendous respect for OJ nowadays. Frankly, I've always regarded OJ as a
joke during the PPP era. I never took the gentleman seriously. But the fact
is, no other member of the defunct PPP has stood up to Yaya the way OJ has.
And he continues to publicly condemn the criminal gang they call a govt back
home. In short, OJ is THE MAN as far as I'm concern. And I apologize for my
erstwhile (and apparently wrong) impression of him. He is showing a lot of
courage and principle. If the Sheriff Dibbas and Hassan Camaras do half as
much as OJ has done, Yaya would have rescinded these criminal degrees. But
to this day, they're all quiet while he (OJ) continues to incur the ire of
the Jammeh thugs. If the rest of the banned group would join OJ and defy the
ban, us on their side should be willing to help in their legal defense. To
that, I'll lend my support wholeheartedly.

To conclude, you don't need to retract the "meek" description of the PPP
people's behavior, for indeed that's the truth. But in fairness to Mr.
Jallow, he shouldn't be painted with that same brush. When the dust clears,
the gentleman should be able to stand tall among human rights fighters back
home. He deserves that honor irrespective of the PPP govt's failings. I only
wish the rest could follow his lead. Keep up the fight OJ, and don't let
State Thuggery silence you. Gotto go.
Good day!

Saul.