GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:28:31 EDT
Mr. Sanneh, thank you very much for the updates. I was so distraught
yesterday, seeing Guei trying to drag his country into the abyss and putting
people's lives in jeopardy. I do not mean to sound selfish, but I have to
point out that I was very concern for the lives of the Gambians working in
Abidjan. Some of our finest minds are there. We thank God for the safety of
the Gambians living in Ivory Coast. We continue to pray that you remain safe
during these trying times in Ivory Coast. We congratulate the Ivorian people
for standing up to Guei. We hope that reports that the coward has fled to
Cotonou are true. Left to the vermin alone, he would have turned Abidjan to
a war zone. Reports say that his security forces fired live ammunition at
protesters including women and children. All that callousness just to
perpetuate a dictator in power. A dictator who stole power in the first
place. It is the arrogance of these thugs that I cannot stand. They
intimidate people, use brute force to steal power, and then behave as if it
is their birth right to stay in power. Well, the Ivorian people have shown
Guei where power really lies. I hope Ghagbo will act like a true democrat
and call for fresh elections where all the parties will be allowed to
contest. This is another wake up call for Gambians. Like we keep saying,
when push comes to shove, these cowards run away. Yaya is a worst coward
than Guei. Yaya has less support in the Gambian army than Guei had in the
Ivorian army. Do not let Yaya rob you in an election and then intimidate you
to accept the outcome of the elections. It is not just elections. Whenever
Yaya breaks the law (as in the case of the massacre of our children on April
10 and 11), he has to be challenged by the people. The massacre of our
children is more heinous than robbing elections. The moment Yaya ordered his
forces to kill our children, he forfeited his right to live, let alone rule
our country. The opposition and their supporters should mobilize and remove
Yaya from office and try him like any common criminal.
KB