GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:29:55 -0400
Mr. Dampha:

I could not agree more with your analysis and your answer to the BBC
question.  A life lost in any election is one too many.  But until the
day comes when Africans can freely choose their leaders without violence
and intimidation and those voted in assume power peacefully, we must
continue to insist on "free and fair elections" with international
observers.

The flawed elections and rigged results in The Ivory Coast and
Yugoslavia about a month ago, must not be underestimated as they indeed
served as the catalyst for mass revolts.  I suspect that the regrettable
loss of life in both case may be much lower than a potential, protracted
civil war. Given the choice between the two, I will opt for free and
fair elections and work toward its realization.  It is a normative
preference and this does not detract from your professed choice.

Cheers!
Abdoulaye