GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rene Badjan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:14:48 EDT
 Aunty Jabou,
        Your questions are quite pertinent. It would be interesting for those
in the know, to give us an account historically as to how such parcels of
land became the property of those who claim it as theirs. It would equally be
interesting to know, how government or what modalities are involved for the
government to reclaim such lands. It should also be noted that those who
exercise rights or claims to these lands, have maintained such rights or
claims even before the Gambia became independent. What was the colonial
legacy to such claims, or what were the modalities that existed for the
recognition of such claims. We need some history here, and those who are
knowledgable in this area can help us.

      I could remember vividly during my communtiy development activities in
Old Jeshwang, having to grapple with these questions. I was fascinated by
claims to such ownership of land, which usually had a very strong political
backing if the claimants support the government. I have also seen instances
where the land was used as a political weapon, through such ownership claims,
to deprive others who do not share the same political platform use of the
land, either for gardening or farming purposes or even for residential
purposes. Even where the land was used for gardening or farming purposes,
with the express permission of those who claim to own the land, there was
always a certain degree of compensation mostly in kind.

      Again, it would be very interesting if the dynamics of such land issues
are unraveled. We might gain a lot knowing about the cultural and ethnic
dispositions, which invariably could have played a role in the evolution of
these claims to communal and family ownership of land in many places in the
country. Again, those who are in the know concerning these issues can
enlighten us. Sincere regards.

    Rene