GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"EssaHBSCode241." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:12:01 -0800
Sources have revealed that a press release emanated from Yaya's office about the forthcoming demonstration of Gambian Journalist,which is scheduled to take place tomorrow at 10am prompt. In the press release as usual the words of IRON MAN and an IRON GVT. were screaming thru the microphones of the GRTS and RADIO GAMBIA.Well I do hope that, those employees of GRTS and RADIO Gambia are not considered  Journalists by Yaya?
Now that the term "Gambian Journalists are on strike",why would anyone even read that press release from Yaya in the first place? I am betting a cow from Jokadu that none of those journalists at GRTS and RADIO Gambia would dare show his or her face during tomorrow's demonstrations! On days like that they are called civil servants. Thats it. I really do not intend blaming anyone of them because my beef is with Yaya himself.Why use the journalists at GRTS and then shun those from The point,The Independent etc? As the saying goes:
" Bread and biscuits are both made out of flour!"

RUMOURS and VIGILANCE...
Whether the Gvt is aware of it or not there are international watch dogs observing developments in Banjul with keen interest from the day Deyda died to this hour.This attention has been drawn nearer and nearer to the shores of Banjul(let them take this as a bluff if they want). The reason is that, many are whispering in the streets of Banjul,Serekunda and so on,saying ie the following are orders that have been given to the PIU,ARMY AND STATE GUARD...SHOOT ANYONE WHO IS A SECURITY THREAT! Otherwise meaning...Let them shoot at sight anyone who attempts braking the peace?! Which peace? Is the aftermath of Deyda Haidara's death what they call peace?(If the rumours are matched by reality?)
Now what we want to know is, WHO WILL THE Yaya gvt see as a journalist or a would-be rebel? In this era of excessive paranoia under Yaya,I will swear to the Lord that these armed young men will be panicked and shoot spontaneously after hearing any noise even if it were to be a vulture flying over their head at high speed! Well Deyda has his own relatives in the armed forces too Yaya!

As far as we know the major media houses are companies that are registered through a legal process.Therefore they have the right to employ reporters and the like.During major occasions gvt usually relies on those officials(senior journalists) to help them identify there pressmen thus be given badges for entering places like the Independence stadium(ie on Independence day and so on).
Now this is totally different. This is not celebrations or fanfare,this about mourning one for their dear big brothers! In a case like that,how would the poor victims be able to help identify the trigger happy and angry Jammeh loyalists, who is a journalist and who is not? I mean during or before the demonstrations? Who is a journalist under the body's own codes of cinduct? Or is it Yaya who would also determine who a journalist is tomorrow? Hopefull the two renowned Gambian journalists that Binneh Minteh is working or communicating with Newyork(names withheld for now) can help us if and when they hear any unusual approaches about who is considered a journalists by Yaya's armed men tomorrow or not?
I am cracking my head on that because I just cannot understand the press release's intension?

Timing...
Why did the gvt issue the press release today,knowing very well that tomorrow at 10am is the given time? Too short and too harsh after the death of a fellow comrade in the noble field of Journalism.

Vigilance..
Every Gambian should observe unusual moves right at this hour.No doubts,I can bet that tomorrow all those journalists who will be demonstrating will see a street littered with camoufaged armed soldiers or "dark glassed" so-called secret service men and women.Demonstrators should also watch out for so-called peers,there maybe false supporters implanted(rug state's intelligence thugs do it so please pay heed to what am saying!).Those agitators have a job and they know how to do it when people are so angry against a system.They may deliberately cause a fight,light tyres,start throwing stones as if it is the journalists themselves who started it. After such scenarios arrests are effected or the worse! Shooting! The agitators if arrested will indeed be released after.The shooters will never aim at the agitators because they use signs,codes and passwords.
I swear by Allah am giving these journalists clues that am sure maybe part of the tactics to be used against them when the demonstration is effective.
On that note while demonstrating the journalists should pick up representaives who will be simultaneously winning the confidence and attention of international diplomats on the ground.As soon as they realise such moves then let them put in place a mechanism where the "lighter" 'watcher" etc could call a direct line and then inform those who should know.Those who should know,know who they in and out of The Gambia.
This time around Yaya I swear by my father's grave God is watching you. You will see what those strong and faithful hearts of men of God can do by praying to HIM the lord.
If you do not care there are people who have never even cared about your threats either.This is no tough talk,we will see.

Yours Sincerely
Essa Bokarr Sey.