GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pasamba Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 00:13:46 GMT
Folks,

Every May 25th, Africans in the diaspora gather to celebrate the ALD. It
could be in the form of the one in D.C which is celebrated with activities
such as parties, soccer matches and sometimes a rarely attended symposium.
But the pertinent question that needs to be ask is, Do we have a reason to
celebrate ?
1. when the legitimacy of our governments is determine by the western
world.
2. When our governments still practice neocolonist economic policies.
3. When our economies are totally dependent on foreign loans and grants, and
under the dictates of the world bank and IMF.
4. When even though Africa is the richest continent interms of Natural
resources, her people are dying in abject poverty.
5. When Gambians students are massacred  for exercising their fundamental
human and constitutional rights tofreedom of expression and assembly.
6. When our brothers and sisters in Congo and Sierra leone are dying  in
senseless civil wars.
7. When our brothers and sisters in Ethiopia and Eritrea are dying in a
senseless boarder  war.
8. When Africa has little or no voice  at the U.N, for the votes of all
Africans  countries  can be nolified by a veto  from the U.S.
9. When the civilization  of one is determine  by how much one masters a
western language or how fashionable western style one is.
10.When as we spend thousands of dollars to celebrate the ALD, African
children are dying of EASILY CURABLE diseases.
11. When the trampulation of fundamental human and constitutional rights of
Africans is the order of the day by leaders who swore to uphold and protect
them.
12. When the JAMMEH's, TAYLORS's, SONKO's take  up arms to take over
governments without the consent of the people.

  Should'nt the ALD be a moment of reflection to Africans  on how to build a
better and more democratic  Africa. An Africa that will produce leaders who
will put the interest of the people before their very own.
An Africa whose leaders will be humble servants of the people and not seen
as demi Gods. An Africa  that provides  liberty, Dignity and prosperity  for
her people. This Africa cannot be achieve with mere rhetorics  but rhetorics
back  with actions.

  Our focus on every ALD should be to work out a strategic objective  plan
to build a better Africa.

Long live Africa!!!! God bless Africa!!!

Thanks

PaSamba Jow