GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
samateh saikou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:32:53 +0000
Essa,

My opinion is that,market is not the problem for the Gambian Farmers,this is
,if I am not wrong ,  what Habbi also meant.The last time I talk to one of
my in-laws,there was scarcity of onion in Banjul and then everywhere  for
days and if not for weeks,until the imported onion arrived.Here the problem
is not market but production.What Njayri is saying is that there are too
many farmers in Africa,contrary to what Habbi believed.One, I agree with
Nyari,I am among those who believed that less 2% of the Gambian population
can provide us with the food we need ,raw material for local production and
export.Today more than 50% of our population are farmer,full time or part
time.Our problem is not what the APRC believed it is.This is why their
policy of telling Gambian youths to go and farm or sending the military to
go and farm will not solve the problem.We have already more than enough
farmers.You are right,mechanization of Agriculture will be the backbone in
both food production and the industrialisation of Agriculture.Take a nation
like the Gambia,had we known our development priorities,one,we would have
invested more in agric machines,some of these could even be produced in the
Gambian.Think of the fact that we turned over  jet fighters to Ukraine and
asked them to compensate us with farming mercnies,Or think as simple as
this;Habbib is lamenting the situation of Tomato growers in the Gambia,they
got rotten in the markets and yet we are still importing Tomato paste,he is
very right,this should not have been the case.This problem is simple to
solve,need no sophisticated economic theory or miracle.See,if the President
is prepared to get rid of his private jet and invest it in the production of
Tomato paste machines (You will agree with me that such machines are cheap
and more development friendly than maintaining a Presidential private
Jet)and employ in that Factory military personals he is sending to the farm
land,they will pay their own salary,save the Gambia foreign exchange and
save the Tomato crowers,who will now be having a more secured source of
income.Think of the development reaction this will have.Because we have a
Sankung Sillah who can also produce containers for the production of Tomato
paste.You can do this with peanut-butter,the mangoes  production ect,that
Habbib mentioned.
A couple of years ago,Tombong Saidy informed us that Gambians will soon be
buying rice produced in the Gambia,in our supermarkets  ect,this was
followed by Jungle,that soon Yundum will be turned into a giant industrial
area with more than a dozen numbers of factory.Well today we know th stories
better,just like the story that Salikeni will be electrify within an
year.All of them dreams,and sweet dreams,of course we all want to see a
better Gambia and not another South Korea or Mexico."Capital" is not
interested whether Babou in Jarra has enough food for the following day or
if there are drugs in the next health centre,what "Capital" is more
interested in,is how much it will cost to produce and how much they will
gain out of it.This is why in the most developed industrial nations there
are people sleeping in the streets, because they have no home to call
theirs,this is why there are still people trading with the Junta in Burma or
Saudi Arabia where human rights is no issue.If we have this understanding of
"Capital" and yet expect this "capital" to solve our problems whiles we buy
jetfighters and private Presidential jets,then we are not serious with
national development.What we see,is Habbib having first hand information and
experience that "Capital"is not even nationalist,they can close Factories in
small US communities,destroy happy families and move to China,where labour
is cheap and workers rights are contained by  state fascism calling itself a
communist state.
Take our sea coast,for more than 40 years our sea resources are been
exploited by people and nations who have no interest in our bread and butter
struggle.They come and fish and go their way,in certain countries,this will
not happen,the consequences are today that,local fisher men are using more
resources,facing more dangers and yet they are not able to provide enough
fish in the market.If situation continue as they are we might ,in very near
future be free for fish in our waters.There are nations today,with more than
1/3 of the total Gambian population,employed in the fishing and fishing
related industries.The problem is,they are not only marking the best use of
these resources and or protecting it,they are developing it to make sure
that generations to come will benefit out of it.Ours could have solve our
unemployment problem.We export raw sardines to many places and enjoy eating
imported sardines in box.Producing Sardines in box in the Gambia,should not
be as expensive as running and maintaining two State house.The security
cost,the food,the electricity bill,water bills etc,but perhaps more
important,to provide jobs to Gambians and enable them to get access to
fish,with all the health benefits involved in eating fish,it might relief
our hospitals the burden it is not able to carry.
Our Hospitals,if it was not the Cubans,I don't know how we will manage
them.But the most serious mistakes is taking all those loans building
hospitals that we knew will be difficult to maintain.Had we develop our
primary health care system we might have been able to solve much of our
health problems.A developing nations needs more a well developed and
functioning primary healthcare system than hospitals without drugs.I am of
the believed that until our "planers" get this into their heads,people will
continue to visit the hospital and be told that there is either a shortage
of dressing,drugs or towel.
Some of us might not understand the basics of economics,but our rights in
refusing to accept the logics of "capitals" as anything natural will never
be compromise.

For Freedom
Saiks