GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"MUSA A.PEMBO" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:06:52 -0000
 The Pilgrimage - Part 6: How the Prophet Conducted His Pilgrimage.

      The following is a translation of the detailed report of the Prophet's (peace be upon him) pilgrimage given by Jabir ibn Abdullah, one of his young companions who has reported a large number of Hadiths. This report forms the basis of many of the rulings and opinions given by the different schools of thought with regard to the pilgrimage and its duties and practices. Words and phrases given in parenthesis are added for explanation and clarification.

      God's Messenger (peace be upon him) stayed (in Madinah) nine years without offering the pilgrimage. In his tenth year in Madinah it was announced to all people that God's Messenger would be offering the pilgrimage. Many people flocked to Madinah seeking to follow the Prophet's guidance and to do like him.

      We went out with him until we arrived at Dhul-Hulayfah where Asma' bint Umays gave birth to Muhammad ibn Abu Bakr. She sent a message to the Prophet asking what she should do (considering that she would be in her postnatal period). He told her to have a bath and to wrap herself properly (putting a wide piece of cloth at the place of discharge, tying both ends from the front and the back and sticking that wrapping tight to a belt she has around her waist.) She could then enter into ihraam, or consecration. The Prophet offered his prayers at the mosque there and mounted his she-camel, Al-Qaswa'. When his she-camel was well into the desert, I looked up and saw all around me people walking or riding animals, accompanying him. I could not see the end of them in any direction: Front or rear, right or left. The Prophet was with us receiving Qur'anic revelations, the interpretation of which we knew very well. Whatever he did, we did likewise. He raised his voice with phrases stressing God's oneness: Labbayk Allahumma Labbayk. Labbayk Laa Shareeka Laka Labbayk. Inna Al-Hamda Wal-Ni'mata Laka Wal-Mulk. Laa Shareeka Lak. People raised their voices with whatever praises they wished to repeat, and the Prophet did not take exception to any of that. He, however, maintained his own form of talbiyah.

      We did not intend to do anything other than a pilgrimage. We knew nothing about the Umrah. When we arrived at the House (i.e. the Kaabah) with the Prophet, he touched the corner (i.e. kissed the Black Stone) then he moved in a jogging movement for three rounds and walked the other four. He then went to Maqam Ibraheem and recited: "Make the place where Abraham stood as a place of prayer." He stood with that place (Maqam Ibraheem) between himself and the Kaabah. In his two rak'ahs he read Surah 112, Al-Ikhlas, and Surah 109, Al-Kafiroon. He then returned to the corner (of the Kaabah, where the Black Stone is) and kissed it. He then left through the door nearer to the hill of Al-Safa.

      When he reached Al-Safa, he read: "Safa and Marwah are among the symbols set up by God. Whoever visits the Sacred House for Pilgrimage or Umrah, would do no wrong to walk to and fro between them. He who does good of his own accord shall find that God is Most Thankful, All-Knowing." (2: 158) He also said: "Al-Safa and Al-Marwah are two places which God has made sacred."

      He went first to Al-Safa and climbed up until he could see the Kaabah. He turned his face toward the qiblah and declared God's oneness and glorified Him. He then said: "There is no deity other than God. He has no partners. To Him belongs the Kingdom as well as all praise. He is able to do everything. There is no deity other than God. He has fulfilled His promise, given victory to His servant and has defeated the confederate forces on His own." (This refers to the defeat of the allied forces of unbelievers who tried to annihilate the Muslim community, but suffered a humiliating defeat without being fought by any human forces). He also prayed to God. He repeated these phrases three times then descended toward Al-Marwah. When he was at the bottom of the valley (marked nowadays with two green lights) he started jogging. When we were again climbing up, he walked. When he arrived at Al-Marwah, he did there the same as he did at Al-Safa. He finished his sa'ie at Al-Marwah and then said: "Were I to start my pilgrimage anew, I would not have brought my sacrificial animals with me, and would have started with an Umrah. Whoever of you has not brought his sacrificial animal with him should release himself from ihraam and make this an Umrah."

      Suraqah ibn Malik ibn Ju'shum stood up and said: "Messenger of God, does this apply to this year only or forever?"

      The Prophet inter-crossed his fingers as he put his two hands together, and said: "The Umrah has intermingled with the pilgrimage." He repeated this twice and said: "Indeed, till the end of time."

      Ali (ibn Abi Talib) came with the sacrificial animals (cows and camels) that belonged to the Prophet. When he arrived he found Fatimah (his wife and the Prophet's daughter) having released herself from ihraam and put on a colorful dress and colored her eyelashes. He objected to what he saw, and she told him: "My father has ordered me to do so." Ali used to say later when he was in Iraq that he went to the Prophet complaining of what Fatimah did. He asked the Prophet's opinion concerning what she attributed to him. Ali said: "I told the Prophet that I objected to her action." He said: "She has told the truth. She has told the truth. What did you say when you started your pilgrimage?" I told him that I said: "My Lord! I intend to do the same as Your Messenger (peace be upon him)." He said: "I have my sacrificial animals with me. Do not, then, release yourself from ihraam."

      All the sacrificial animals that Ali brought with him from the Yemen and the ones the Prophet brought with him numbered one hundred. All people released themselves from ihraam and shortened their hair except the Prophet (peace be upon him) and those who had their sacrifice with them. On the Day of Tarwiyah (8 Dhul-Hijjah) they proceeded to Mina resolving to do the pilgrimage. The Prophet mounted (his she-camel) and prayed at Mina the prayers of Zuhr, Asr, Maghrib, Isha and Fajr (meaning that he stayed all day and throughout the night in Mina). He stayed on until after sunrise. He ordered that a dome of animal hair be erected for him at Namirah (in Arafat). The Prophet then proceeded. The Quraysh people were certain that he would stop at Al-Mash'ar Al-Haraam (in Muzdalifah, short of Arafat), in the same way as the Quraysh used to do before Islam. The Prophet, however, proceeded until he came to the dome that was erected for him at Namirah and dismounted there. When it was midday, he ordered that his she-camel, Al-Qaswa', be prepared for him and proceeded to the middle of the valley (of Arafat).

      The Prophet addressed the people and said: "Your blood and your properties are forbidden among you in the same degree of sanctity as this day, in this month, in this city. Everything which belonged to jahiliyyah (the state of ignorance that is the antithesis of Islam) is hereby forgone and placed under my feet. The blood (i.e. revenge killing) of jahiliyyah is hereby forgone. The first (victim) whose blood I forgo from among our own people is Ibn Rabee'ah ibn Al-Harith (the Prophet's own cousin). He was nursed in the tribe of Bani Saad and was killed by the tribe of Hudhayl. All the usury of the days of jahiliyyah is wiped off. The first of it I wipe off is that which belongs to Al-Abbas ibn Abd Al-Muttalib (the Prophet's own uncle). All of it is hereby forgone. Fear God in (your treatment of) women. You have taken them on to yourselves with peace from God, and they are lawful to you with God's word..."

      He continued his speech until he said: "They (women) have a right against you to provide for them and to dress them in accordance with what is reasonable. I am leaving with you God's Book. If you hold fast to it you will never go astray. You will be asked about me, but what will you say?"

      They (i.e. the people present) replied: "We declare that you have delivered the message perfectly and have given sound counsel."

      He pointed his forefinger raising it to the sky and, pointing it to the people, said: "My Lord! Bear witness." (He repeated this three times).

      He then said the adhan (i.e the call to prayer) and followed it by the iqamah (i.e. the call to start the congregational prayer) and prayed Zuhr. He then said another iqamah and prayed Asr. He did not pray any Sunnah between them. He then mounted his she-camel until he arrived at the place where he stood. He put the tummy of his camel against the large rocks and turned toward those who were walking, facing the qiblah.

      The Prophet remained in attendance at Arafat until the sun had set and a little yellowness appeared, and the whole of the round shape of the sun had completely disappeared. He carried Usamah behind him on his camel and moved onward pulling the reign of his she-camel right back, to the extent that her head could touch his saddle. He motioned with his right hand and said: "Be calm! Be calm!"

      Every time he came to a hill he would relax his grip on the reign a little so that the camel could go up hill. When he arrived at Muzdalifah he prayed there the two prayers of Maghrib and Isha with one adhan and two iqamahs. He did not separate the two obligatory prayers with any glorification of God. He then reclined until dawn. He then prayed Fajr or dawn prayers, when he was sure that it was due. An adhan and iqamah were said before that prayer.

      He then mounted his she-camel and moved on until he arrived at Al-Mash'ar Al-Haraam and, facing the qiblah, he prayed to God, glorifying Him and repeating phrases confirming God's oneness and declaring that he believed in no deity other than God until the light of day was very bright. He then moved forward before sunrise.

      The Prophet took on Al-Fadl ibn Abbas (his cousin) behind him on his she-camel. Al-Fadl was a man of fine hair, fair complexion and generally handsome. When the Prophet moved on he came across some women riding on their camels and moving fast. Al-Fadl gazed at them and the Prophet put his hand on Al-Fadl's face. Al-Fadl then turned his face the other way and gazed at the women. The Prophet put his hand again from the other side to turn Al-Fadl's face away from the women. When he arrived at Muhassar Valley, he increased his speed a little and proceeded along the middle road (which was different from the one he used on his way to Arafat) which led to the Grand Jamrah.

      He proceeded up to the Jamrah which is by the tree where he did the stoning. He threw at it seven little stones and each time he threw a stone, he said: "Allah-u Akbar", which means "God is Supreme." When he finished his stoning he stood at the bottom of the valley (so that Mina, Arafat and Muzdalifah were on his right-hand side and Makkah was to his left). He then went to the slaughter place where, with his own hand, he sacrificed 63 animals and asked Ali to slaughter the rest. Ali did that, and the Prophet made Ali his partner in his sacrifice. He ordered that a small piece of meat should be taken from each animal he sacrificed and they were all put in a large saucepan to cook. When it was ready, the Prophet and Ali had some soup and ate of the meat of that cooking.

      The Prophet then mounted his she-camel and went straight on to Makkah. Arriving at the Sacred Mosque he did the tawaf of ifaadah and prayed Zuhr at Makkah. He then went toward Zamzam where members of the clan of Abd Al-Muttalib (the Prophet's own clan) were serving people, getting the water from the well of Zamzam to give a drink of its water to anyone who cared to have one. The Prophet said to his tribesmen: "You Bani Abd Al-Muttalib! Work hard at providing drinks for people. I would have joined you in your service except for my fear that people would overpower you to do this service." They gave him a bucket of water and he drank from it. (The last statement by the Prophet means that he feared that if he were to join his relatives in providing drinks for pilgrims, people would think this to be one of the pilgrimage rituals and everyone would try to emulate the Prophet. This would have led to chaos. Hence, he refrained from doing it.)

      This concludes the Hadith Jabir reported on the Prophet's pilgrimage. It practically covers all aspects of the pilgrimage up to the end of 10 Dhul-Hijjah, leaving out only the stay in Mina and stoning on the following days and the tawaf of farewell.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい