GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 21:27:27 EST
Mr Gassama,
                   thank you for your questions. I will endeavor to address
them albeit in a somewhat different chronology from the way you posed them.
Hopefully we will have our own version of a constructive engagement .
" In refusing to be a part of any form of dialogue with those you oppose,
i.e., the government, what practical measures do you have that would further
your position and impact on the lives of the ordinary Gambians?"
The short answer is by continuing my affiliation with those Gambians who seek
to lead my country in a direction that not only addresses my concerns as a
citizen, but more importantly are committed to building a foundation for a
viable, democratic and progressive nation that is governed by institutions
and the rule of law. It is my opinion that the best thing an ordinary citizen
can do for his country is to steadfastly insist on what he knows to be right
and just. All of my grievances pertain to what is done to ordinary Gambians
who are at the receiving end of a very creul regime. They must not only
contend with relentless abuse, they are also trapped in inhuman depravation
and poverty because an imposed gov't doesn't care about them. Advocating for
them, agitating for them and speaking for them in countries and fora they
can't necessarily be is a very correct and practical way of helping my
people. Here is an example: When Yahya Jammeh came down to New York for the
UN millennium summit in 2000, his handlers hired a lobbying firm to arrange
some hasty meetings with a couple of congressmen to see if he could have them
to lean on the State department to suspend the section 504 sanctions imposed
by the U. S government. He spent the entire session with these congressmen at
his hotel in NewYork lying about events back home. He kept complaining about
how Sir Dawda stole all of the nation's resources and living in luxury in
England blah blah  and how the US just doesn't want to give him a chance.
Soon after, we arranged a meeting with one of those congressmen and put
together a factual briefing that was in the public domain about precisely
what he was doing to our people which was murdering, torturing and abducting
them in a campaign of terror. To the victims in our country it matters that
their President would not terrorize them and also successfully lie about it
to nations whose favor he was seeking. I pride myself in countering his lies
in this country that I live in and I know it has a practical effect on my
people.
2. "Given that Yaya Jammeh has been elected for another term and the fact
that many Gambians and the international community have recognized the
mandate conferred upon him, how can your position help to bring about change
or improvements that would impact the lives of ordinary Gambians?"
  The outcome of the elections is as significant as the very process that led
to it. It is my believe that the process that led to a declared 52% mandate
for Yahya Jammeh was fatally flawed in that the voter rolls were illegally
padded with tens of thousands of ineligible voters. The parties had no
practical way of stopping this illegal voters from actually casting the
ballots, but they have an almost fiduciary responsibility to demand that
these additions be entirely expunged from the voter rolls because they are
illegal. With the government sponsored I.E.C refusing to remove names they
know don't belong because they are the ones who hatched the whole scheme
because it would have the practical effect of invalidating the socalled
mandate of Yahya Jammeh. All I as an ordinary citizen want is for our people
to elect whoever they chose of their own volition but under clearly
prescribed rules. That did not happen and that is why I am in agreement with
those politicians who insist that our nation have a legitimate voter roll
that reflects the true electorate. I can assure you that friends of Gambia
concur with this reasonable demand. I intend to continue helping these
politicians who are continuing to vigilantly pursue the crucial democratic
agenda for our people. Judging by the faux parliamentary polls just
concluded, you can discern that most Gambians will not partake in a bogus
exercise that is designed to undermined the people's franchise.
3. "Do you have an organized structure or a course of action to bring effect
to your position?"
I actively support the coalition that contested the last elections. I intend
to continue working them within their established organs. On a parallel track
I will pursue avenues that will address my concerns for my country
culminating in a regime change which I believe is best for my country and
people.
4. "Given that you refuse to recognize the legitimacy of this government
because 'it did not democratically assume power in manner prescribed by
Gambian law," what practical means can you use to further your assertion and
hope to change the perception and position of the countries that have given
recognition to the government?'
I intend to do what I have always done. It revolves around a simple but
profound concept in a democracy such as the one I live in. Talk to people
about my people.
5. "What chips or pressure packages do you have to make the government pay
heed to your position?"
None. My position is just anathema to their very nature. I am not asking for
any favors or making impossible demands. The Gambian people deserve a
leadership that is up to the task of government with the right temperament,
judiciousness, integrity and talent. Look at this entire government
leadership and just identify one person you would entrust with either a
vegetable stall or scout troupe. You couldn't find single person who
sincerely cares about anything other the job itself. It is a hopeless bunch
we ought to get rid off.

6." Given that many Gambians back home seem to have chosen infrastructural
developments over issues of fundamental freedoms, what can one do to change
such an attitude?"
I do not agree with the premise of the question. It supposes there is
substantial infrastructure or that Gambians by nature do not value the rule
of law. To be sure if I land at Yundum airport I'll be glad to not loose my
kidneys on crater size potholes for the short commute to my home because the
road would paved. But what does that have to do with the regime of Yahya
Jammeh? One of his minions initialed a loan agreement for that road so every
Gambian owe him a debt of gratitude? He is not doing anyone favor for
presiding over a road construction. It is a foolish and bogus argument that
most Gambians don't buy. Most of the strident polarization that is simmering
in our society today emanates principally from people's justified feeling of
being abused by the government and it's associated gangs. They value their
dignity and do not like the constant affront this government is known for.
This infrastructure substitution for freedoms is nothing but sophistry for
folks who want to conveniently rationalize bad behavior.
I hope I have shed further light to my positions. If not I would gladly give
it another shot.
 On a completely different subject, I thought I saw a music vedeo or
someother program in which the credits had your name. It was very well done
and I was wondering if I could pitch you a story that you can shoot as a
little amateur movie if you can put together a small acting team. I like
writing little stories and if you can translate them into short flicks ...who
knows we may have a little Internet theatre.:)
Thanks
Karamba

                                                       Buharry.