GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:27:04 +0100
From: gook makanga
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 12:17 AM
Subject: Emancipate Yourself From Mental Slavery

      Emancipate Yourself From Mental Slavery

      THE WRITER: Tujadeen

      One of my favorite lines from the stupendously gifted career of the Late Bob Marley is: 'Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds'. The unfortunate thing is that many
      Africans will know this line, many have danced and more will dance to it
      but how many have really reflected on it and of those how many are
      acting on the profound mental transformation that Marley was calling
      for.
      The evidence of inaction is there to see all around us every day. Just
      last week I was passing through an African airport where chaos that one
      has become accustomed to is now compounded by the over zealous African
      reaction to Post September 11 whimsical security demands of a paranoid
      US government. Like lambs to the slaughter hundreds of passengers had to line up to have their bags individually examined by security and
      immigration officials who did not seem in a hurry. However, a certain
      brisk efficiency overpowers th! em when those who know how the system
      works 'greet' 'or 'throaway salute' at them. Naïve me I was expecting
      that everybody will get to the tables according to how they stood in the
      queue not realising that there were virtual parallel lines around the
      patient law-abiding one.
      Then a gentleman came, cut through the line and went over to one of the
      officials searching the luggage and mumbled in her ears and she tore out
      three security clearance tickets for him. This guy then proceeded to
      remove some baggage from the queue and asked their owners to leave the
      queue, "Everything is ok" he announced triumphantly. A middle aged
      British (white) couple and their teenage co-traveler thus abandoned the
      queue to follow their 'liberator'. As you can imagine, I was livid and I
      challenged both the official and the unidentified interlocutor on their
      behavior. One reacted that they were 'important people' and the other
      quickly added 'th! ey are diplomats from the British High Commission'.
      This is a coun try in which expansive arrangements are made to 'observe
      all protocols' even in the smallest of social gathering so that the
      prestige of any local champion does not suffer lack of recognition.
      Therefore it is impossible that it will not have separate facilities for
      checking in 'important people' and 'diplomats' for that matter. But be
      that as it may it should not matter what status one is as long as you
      are on the queue the same rule should apply. In any case the people were
      already on the queue before the 'express driver' came.
      Of course verbal warfare ensued between these officials and myself and I
      gave them a piece of my mind even with a few unprintable words thrown
      in. Most of the other passengers kept nodding their approval and some
      edging me on as I went to town on these irresponsible officials. As the
      racket went on unabated some higher official came over to placate me
      offering the most stupid explanation for his col! league's behavior: "It
      is discretion'. Then I asked him why the discretion is only applicable
      to 'White people' and he was lost for words and when he recovered he
      stuttered.
      "It happens every where'. That response obviously betrayed his
      limited travel. The only concession black people get is not to jump the
      queue but to be searched, questioned, queried and subjected to all kinds
      of indignity at European airports. What Prof Ali Mazrui, calls "equal
      opportunity for harassment'. We were comparing his ordeal reentering US
      after a lecture tour in Trinidad and my not being allowed on BA flights
      twice 'for security reasons'. I teased him that I did not think that big
      people like him could be treated that way. The ever-ready Mazrui
      responded: "if you are a Muslim it is an equal opportunity for
      harassment".
      I can only add that it is not just Muslims (even if they
      are the current targets) because any African who travels thro! ugh Europe
      and America will know that opportunity too well.
      Wh at has my recent experience got to do with Marley's mental slavery?
      Quite a lot. It is that slave mentality that makes our people to treat
      every white person as a superior being and be willing to grant all kinds
      of concessions while maltreating their own peoples. It is that colonial
      mentality that makes Europeans and Americans to act big when they are in
      Africa without many of us showing our contempt and resentment for their
      conduct. Those British people will not even jump a queue in the rain in
      London yet they are willing to let it be done (even expect it) on their
      behalf in Africa. Yet they will talk about the high level of corruption,
      inefficiency, etc, in Africa without seeing their own complicity in
      them.
      These things happen because we let them. It is not enough to just
      support someone who dares to confront these situations, we all have to
      resolve not to tolerate these indignities wherever we may encounter them
      in ! all our lives. Our silences are not only submission but also
      providing active encouragement for these insults to continue. Let it be
      your New Year resolution to encourage ZERO TOLERANCE to indignities
      against Africans at home and abroad.
      Ends

      Published on: Thursday, 8th January, 2004

      Email this article to a friend.

Gook

"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom."- Malcom X