GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 05:21:17 -0500
Friday, 14 December, 2001, 13:31 GMT
Ndiaye commits to Senegal

Ndiaye may not get the warnest reception in Senegal
After initially refusing to play for Senegal, Lille midfielder Sylvain
Ndiaye has finally accepted a call-up to the national side.
"I have refused many appeals from Senegal, but I am now ready to join up
with the Senegal national team" Ndiaye said.

Ndiaye qualifies for Senegal through a paternal grandfather, but his
frequent snubs of the Lions have meant that many in Senegal believe Ndiaye
should be left out in the cold, rather than soaking up the heat of Mali and
South Korea.

In private, many of the Senegalese players are unhappy, saying that Ndiaye
maintained he was French until he realised that the Lions had qualified for
the World Cup.
Ndiaye came to prominence with a Lille side that has given the likes of
Manchester United and Deportivo tough games in the Champions League this
season.

The 25 year old is essentially a central midfielder, but may end up playing
on the right since the Lions are in good shape in the middle with the likes
of Salif Diao, Pape Sarr, Amdy Faye and Bouba Diop.

However, Ndiaye is not convinced he is a natural fit out wide.

Frosty reception

"I have read in the press that Bruno Metsu would like to play me on the
right hand side. Frankly, that is not a place on the pitch where I feel
particularly at home."

Ndiaye is also aware that his behaviour over the last few months may mean
he receives a frosty reception when he joins up with his new team mates for
the first time for a 29 December friendly.

"As I have yet to play a match, I am not expecting to walk straight into
the side. After all, the team qualified for the World Cup without me. To be
honest, I would understand it if someone said to me that I wasn't going
about things the right way."

Right way or not, Coach Bruno Metsu, who convinced Ndiaye over dinner in
Lille, believes the mixed race midfielder may be the final piece in the
Lions' jigsaw.

-

BBC Sport