GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 22:16:07 GMT
Dave,

Thanks for your opinion, but this is a mere appeal for help. If Halifa and
Co get in trouble and request help, I'll be more than happy to do what I
can. I've stated very clearly why the Independent -a business paper, needs
support. If you cannot afford to give any, that's fine. But, please don't
turn this into another cat fight. These journalists are being unfairly
persecuted. The last thing they or I need, is a distraction from their
plight. The role they're playing (of course together with others,) is
obvious. But, you're perfectly entitled to your opinion as someone always
making noise about "sacrifice." Allow me mine.

Just for the record: I've not put any newspaper down. I've said consistently
and OPENLY that I have a problem with Halifa's behavior since the coup.
There's a world of difference between that view, and the spin you're putting
on it. Please try to understand what someone has written before jumping at
them.

And finally, what hidden agenda do you see here? When Halifa and co were
arrested and charged by the AFPRC junta in '94, I was one of the first
Gambians to sign the petition, (and urge many others to follow suit,)
demanding their release. There were many noise makers who were afraid to do
that. Don't ask me why. But, I would have gladly given the little I had if
it ever came to that. So, why don't YOU set aside YOUR prejudice, and look
at the real issue here, instead of engaging in this type of cynicism.

Saul.