GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Samba Goddard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 15:24:14 +0100
 Assalamu aliakum G-L
We are back again to share with you about the Creation of Man
part three.

            CREATION OF MAN
A REVIEW OF QUR -`AAN & MODERN
               EMBRYOLOGY

IN-UTERUS DEVELOPEMENT OF HUMAN BODY
                                        ITS
       STAGES & ORGAN FORMATION

The Quranic description of the various stages of fetal development
and its evolution shows that providence of the Lord of the Universe
works with its full glory in the wombs of the mothers also. The fact is
that from the origin of the embryo until its completion and birth of a
baby,the divine system of sustenance proves that whether it is the
internal world of man or its external enviroment the benevolent
system works with the same discipline and style. Let us briefly
discuss the verse of the Qur àan which describes these stages.
The Qur àan says:

"And indeed We created man from elements of dust.Then We put
him in a secure place in the form of a cell.Then We made him a
being like a hanging nest fixed (in the wall of uterus).Then We
fashioned him a chewed lump.Then out of chewed lump we made
bones and clothed bones with muscles.Then gradually out of it, We
developed another creative.So blessed is your LORD Who is the
best of the creators."
                                (AL-MUMINNON,23:12 to 14

In these verse the human development and evolution is described in
7 stages as follows:-

1.(SULALATA MIN TEEN)...Extract of clay or elements of earth.
2.(NUTFA)...Zygote.
3.(ALAQAH)...Hanging mass clinging to the endometrium of the
uterus.
4.(MUDGHAH)...Chewed Lump.
5.(EZAM)...Skeletral System.
6.(LAHM)...Muscular System.
7.(KHALQ-AKHAR)...New Creation.

`NUTFA`has been described before.`Alaqah`refers to something
which attaches like hanging nest to something or to a leech or blood
maker.In both senses it is an extremely appropriate description of a
7-24 days old human embryo,which looks like a leech and clings to
endometrium like a leech,somewhat hanging(Arabic `MAULLAQ`).
Just as the leech derives blood from the host,the human embryo
derives blood from the decidua of pregnent uterus.It is remarkable
how the embryo of 23-24 days resembles a leech.Since there were
no lenses or microscope,so the 7th century doctors would not have
known that human embryo at an early stage looked like a leech
clinging like a hanging nest but the word of Allah(SWT),the Highest
clearly mentioned the fact by calling it:- The term `Mudgha`means a
chewed lump. The chewed appearance results from the somites
which reasemble like teeth mask. These somites are the beginning
of vertibrae.
The verses continue then to describe the formation of bones and
muscle develop around them.
The new creation describe in the later part of the verse refers to the
human-like embryo which is formed by the end of the 8th week and
then in embryology it is termed as fetus. At other place the Qur-àan
further describes the order in which other systems of the body
develope.The Holy Qur-àan describes the creation of man:-

"And He made for you ears, eyes and mind, little do you thank"
     (AL-SAJDA 32:Verse-9)

Again it is declared:

"Indeed We created man from a mixed cell,then We make him a
hearing,and seeing man." (AL-DAHAR 86:Verse-2)

Embryology also tells us that primordia of internal ear before the
eyes and brain differentiates the last.
The doctors might have known that human beings underwent
development in the uterus,although the first known illustration of a
fetus in the uterus was drawn by Leonardo da Vinci in the 15th
century. However it is unlikely that they knew that it developed in
stages. This was not discussed and illustrated until the 15th century.
After the invention of the microscope in the 17th century,descriptions
were made of the early stages of chick embryo. But the methodical
staging of the human embryo was not describe until the 20th century.
Streeter in 1941 developed the first system of staging which now is
replace by a more accurate system proposed by O`Rahilley in 1972.
The Quranic description of these stages 14 centuries before
Streeter or O `Rahilley without the help of microscope and other
embryological and anatomical studies is an undeniable miracle.

                TO BE CONTINUED
  "Massalam" (peace be with you all)

Allahummasalli alaa saidina Muhammadin wa alaa alli Muhammadin

Samba Goddard
(Pulo)