GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 06:58:25 PDT
Tombong, Malafy,

I read your postings to the L, very carefully, and I must thank you for the
lectures. Indeed, I did find both of your postings very momentous and
instructive and, in fact, you should tell me how much I should pay for the
lectures next time you write. (laughs!)

Anyway, in my view, this ongoing debate about our country, especially on the
eve of the new millennium, is very necessary, so that with all the different
ideas being poured out, we might finally work out the correct BLUE PRINT for
the future of our Nation.

It is, therefore, in the interest of our country, to encourage more of these
debates, although I must be quick to add that, in order to reap some
benefits from these discussions, we have to ensure that we debate with
maturity, with sincerity, with clarity, with truth, with fairness, and with
respect.

One must always be honest, conscientious and honourable enough, to give
credit where it is due. In short, one must always be ingenuous and equitable
enough, to withdraw a position, or a statement, if the person you are
debating with, has come up with far more credible, more convincing, and more
persuasive arguments.

In this regard, we should never let our emotions overshadow or colour our
objectivity and fairness. Politically, all of us have our loyalty somewhere,
but that doesn't mean we should be fanatical with our leaders, or make
ourselves blind followers, or opportunists.

We should always always make sure that our actions are guided by good
reasoning, truth, objectivity and fairness. It is my view that if Africa is
to make a headway, as the new millennium draws nearer, we must discard the
habit of seeing our leaders as demi gods.

Our leaders should be seen as our employees, who should be fired, if they
persisted in doing wrong or bad, but retained if they were delivering the
goods.

Now, let me attempt to address some of the issues raised by Malafy and
Tombong Saidy. But, before addressing these issues, I'll share with you an
information, which some of you might find interesting, so that, hopefully,
you can understand Tombong better.

Most of us already know that Tombong was invited by Jammeh, to join the then
AFPRC, after he, Tombong, "humiliated" deposed President Jawara, during a
press conference in Washington DC.

Now, for historical purposes, I'll share with you what happened behind the
scenes, so that you can judge for yourselves, whether Mr Saidy is a man of
principles or not, or whether he can cope with real pressures or not, in
times of difficulties.

The Daily Observer correspondent in Washington DC, Fatou Jaw Manneh, was at
the press conference and, after the conference, she faxed me the story,
which I edited, gave it a headline and we carried in the front page of the
Observer, as our lead story.

The story became the talk of Banjul that day, and, of course, the then
members of the Ruling Council, led by Mr Jammeh, were very impressed with
Tombong's stance at the press conference.

But not knowing that the Jammeh government had a job ready for him, and
apparently being under reported "pressures" from many quarters, for having
"humiliated" ex-president Jawara, Tombong confronted Fatou Jaw Manneh, as
soon as the Observer was out, denying to Fatou that he had said what was
quoted in the Observer story.

Fatou Jaw contacted me, asking me the possibility of putting a retraction in
the Observer, because Tombong was denying to her, having said what was
reported in the Observer.

At Fatou's request, I drafted a retraction/apology, which I was going to put
in the Observer, to the effect that Tombong had denied what was attributed
to him, in the Observer. I forgot exactly what and what he was denying in
the story.

But, fortunately for him, our reporter contacted me again, at the right
time, before we went to press, saying that Tombong did not want any
retraction any more, because he was offered a job by the Government at our
Washington DC Embassy, as a result of the story. You can therefore see how
some people can be so opportunistic or can lack principles.

Tombong, if you want you can deny this, but Gambia L members are also to
contact Fatou Jaw, for confirmation or denial of my statements.

Now coming back to the main issue. I agree that I got wrong again, with
regard to Dr Saja Taal, and I apologise to the list for the misinformation.

But I have to remind some of the list members, who are very hard in their
criticisms, which I welcome in good faith, that the easiest thing to do, is
to criticise people's works/writings, which is fine, because whoever writes
must expect to be criticised, either rightly or wrongfully. The difficult
thing, surely, is to come up with ideas, especially solid ones and put them
before the publicly, for scrutiny.

Anyway, I must say with regard to the Dr Saja Taal issue, the misinformation
was my fault, not my source, if I have to be fair to him. My source was
stressing the need for continuity in a post one was doing well, citing the
fact that Dr Taal was again "replaced" at the Ministry of Education, when he
was already doing a good job there. I wrongly took the word "replace" to
mean dismissal.

Again, I apologise to the L, for the misinformation and, Tombong, I thank
you in good faith, for the clarification. I'll take your wise advise to be
more careful in the future.

But, of course, even the Western Media, with all their facilities and
prowess, do retract stories, from time to time, owing to misinformation. I
am sure even Gambia TV, which you head, does make mistakes, from time to
time.

I am glad, however, that Mr Saidy didn't say I was wrong in saying that
Maodo Touray and Essa Sey were to be appointed ambassadors. Tombong, you
might have known about these appointments, because you are a government
insider, but, please, be fair here: don't give the impression that this was
"a stale news" within the media in the Gambia, when either the private media
or government media had reported it.

The government media might wait for the "agreement", but if the private
media knew about this story, they would have, of course, published it by
now.

Tombong, I, myself, didn't give any reasons for Njogou Bah's withdrawal from
France, as insinuated by you. I quoted a source, which is permissible in
journalism, who narrated what reportedly happened in Paris.

Mr Saidy, I do not know why Ismaila Ceesay had been recalled, neither do I
claim to know why Mr Grey-Johnson had been recalled. But I know, for a fact,
despite what you are saying to the contrary, that Njogou's withdrawal from
Paris had do with his wife's alleged, and I repeat, alleged hostility
towards their maid.

Whether Njogou's wife was hostile to the Embassy staff or not, I do not have
a clue. But it is also a fact that Mrs Bah was reported to the government by
her maid, for alleged hostility.

I admire Njogou as a diplomat, and also as a French/English/French
interpreter, and I would be the last person to put him and his family in
trouble with authorities in Banjul.

Again, some people should not get me wrong, for I am not saying that Mr
Jammeh should not have appointed Essa Sey as ambassador. That's is Jammeh's
prerogative. I had said that if I, Ebrima Ceesay, were to appoint someone as
an ambassador in Paris, it would be based on merit, service, experience
tactfulness, qualifications and, of course, loyalty.

For me, it is not a question of speaking "Fluent French". I speak French
myself. Language can be studied and mastered by anyone. The Gambia's High
commissioner to the UK, John Bojang, has a very good command of the English
Language and, on top of that, he is an orator, who can speak off the cuff,
for hours.

But, in my view, he is not a tactful person or a good diplomat, otherwise he
would not have said that "Slavery was not a curse...it was, in fact, good
for the black people."...

Again, as I said before, I have my reservation about Essa Sey's appointment,
but I am not going to belabour the point. In fact, it is very unfortunate
that the issue has been dragged to this level. My Sey, if you find my
comments upsetting or painful, then my sincerely apologies to you.

But you do know that I am very "controversial" in nature, and I don't
hesitate to speak my mind on issues, regardless of who is involved. Is this
not more honourable than back biting you?

Malafy, I didn't say I am "closed to Essa's wife, or family". I said his
wife was a relative. I haven't seen Essa for a long time. By way, I didn't
even know he was in New York. But he used to call me "GORO" (an in law),
because his wife was brought up by Momat Adam Ceesay, formerly of
Cooperative Union, who is a dad to me.

It is unfortunate that I am also forced to drag Momat's name into this, and
I hope he, too, forgives me. Anyway, Fatou Camara, thanks for your
clarications with regard to Essa Khan. By the way, when are you coming back
to Birmingham to visit? I must say that all of the crew in Birmingham do
miss your good sense of humour.

Malafy, let me tell you that the reason why I avoid contacting many in
family is because I do not want to put anyone in trouble, given my well
known opposition to the Jammeh regime. Even my uncle, Ndondi, said on this
forum, that he didn't hear from me, since I left the Gambia.

Also Mr Jarju, I don't mind you calling me a "political refugee", but for
the records, I need to tell you, and you checked this information, that I
came to the UK, because I was given a two-year study leave with salary, by
the Observer, in November 1996, to do an M Phil at the University of
Birmingham.

In fact, the Observer had carried an editorial, in December 1996, clarifying
that I was in the UK, because I was given two years study leave with salary.
So I didn't run away from the Gambia, or no one had forced me to leave.
Technically, I could go to the Gambia, even today.

In fact, I should have returned home by now, but I decided to stay here, for
the time being, because I got married, I am still studying and also I was
working very hard, on a book, on the Gambian Coup, of course, not realising
that it was one thing to have your manuscript ready, but another thing to
find a publishers interested in your material. But with Sandra's help and
contacts, it would be finally published.

Anyway, Malafy, people are right to say I am in exile in England, but it is
a self-imposed one. Mr Jammeh himself knows that whenever I am ready with
what I am doing here, I'll return home, and they better be prepared for my
comeback.

Hey, the last thing I would do would be to abandon my politics for justice,
fair play and freedom. Call me a politician or a journalist, but that would
stop me from speaking my mind.

Tombong, of course, it is an open secret that I announced over the BBC in
June 1996, before the ban on party politics was lifted in the Gambia, that I
was going to contest the September 1996 presidential elections, if Jammeh
ran.

Tombong, I had to publicly renounce my candidature, not because I feared I
wouldn't make it, as alleged by you. This is far from the truth. I renounced
my candidature, because of family pressures and the fact that I didn't want
to be used by any Western Country.

Once some diplomats friends of mine became involved and started raising the
necessary funds for the campaign, I became very uncomfortable with the whole
thing, because I didn't want to be no one's puppet. Also, mentally, I didn't
think I was ready for the task ahead.

But I wouldn't hesitate to repeat, on this forum, that if Mr Jammeh and co
were to remain in power, it shouldn't surprise you if I form a political
party.

Anyway, I'll have to continue this write up one of these days, because my
fingers are paining me.

Ebrima Ceesay,
Birmingham, UK.