GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 14:16:44 +0200
Culled from the Point Tuesday, June 4, 2002

Juwara Accuses Govt Of Down Playing Jawara’s Return

The National Secretary of the United Democratic Party (UDP) Lamin Waa
Juwara, has strongly criticised what he called the poor reception accorded to
former President Sir Dawda Kairaba Jawara by the Jammeh Administration
but maintained that nobody can down play Jawara’s return. Juwara, who is an
arch critic of the ruling APRC government, bitterly queried the poor reception
accorded to his Uncle Sir Dawda Kairaba Jawara, a person he described as
the man of hope for this country. “

This is the reality on the ground. A lot of us including family members, well -
wishers, supporters across the country, in their thousands went to the Banjul
International Airport despite the early hours of the morning, they have been
there, waiting to see and maybe shake hand with the old man who is so dear
to them but all of sudden, he was led to a car and taken to his residence. A
lot of people were disappointed,” lamented Juwara. He told The Point that the
former Gambian statesman does not deserve such a treatment. Juwara, who
is apparently unhappy with the governments action, added, “Nobody can
down play Sir Dawda ‘s role and the love the Gambian people have for him.

What the regime should understand is that this man has not been defeated
but overthrown against the wishes of the Gambian people and I feel we still
really love him.” The UDP National Secretary, who commended Jawara for his
human rights record, told this paper that Jawara’s return has been welcomed
by Gambians. “I can tell you that across all the country, people have been
waiting for this day and I have seen people today hugging each other and
offering prayers as the man of hope has returned.” Juwara marvelled, while
expressing hope that the APRC government would learn from the oldman. He
added that the Jammeh regime could learn a lot from Sir Dawda, especially
in the areas of governance, international relations and what he called the
management of the sick economy. He claimed that Jammeh’s eight- year
rule is characterised by gross human rights violations, economic down town,
the non purchase of farmers groundnuts for the past three years and the
declining tourism industry. Finally, Juwara had this message to Jawara. “

Our message to him is that we have kept our solidarity with him all the time
he was away. We think, he has still a father figure role to play to make sure
that the cohesion that Gambia experienced during his tenure is rekindled so
that we go back to decent politics. This will benefit both the government and
the opposition. I think he can still play some other roles on behalf of The
Gambia internationally,’ said Mbarodi.