GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2001 16:34:42 -0500
Comrades:

A confidential email from a Gambian civil servant gave me
reasonable assurance that political moderation and truth
are assets in constructive engagement.  It does not make sense
in refusing to use critical reasoning.  A Refusal to evaluate          the "big picture" will predict a future of uncertainty for                those genuinely seeking to protect the right of the innocent.

The writer stated that only if the opposition would take a
centralist approach in dealing with the government, then majority
civil servants would recognize its sincerity in protecting those it
vehemently tries to protect.  This I thought, should be a guiding
principle in egaging truthfully for a prosperous and democratic
Gambia.  The writer went on to thank me for taking a "kinder and
gentler approach" in dealing with the APRC government.  This I          thought, evoked a political statement of understanding.  Yes,
politicians do make strange bedfellows for the interest of their
constituents.  I will not run away from those that subjectively
attack my person.  I understand the rule of politics.  I am here
to take any frontal attack.  I believe in substance, rather than form.     The truth will prevail.

If I can convince the APRC government that the opposition is
integral in nation building, that the civil servants can be           opposition, that individual freedom will further cement The            Gambian's image; then I have suceeded in maximizing my principle.           I am here to stay and engage any opponent in a realistic and mature political debate.  I will never run away from truth.  In doing so,          I then will qualify my opponents in a vision of political destruction.

I will revisit the issue if I fail.  I will realistically entertain a
vision of forming my own political party.  I this regard, I hope there
will be some Gambians who are willing to objectively use political
strategy in forming a working relationship for the interest of The Gambia.

Sooner or later, those in the opposition will soon ask, but why are
we suffering when our leaders are sending their kids to the best schools,
shelter them, and provide them with affordable living standards?  For
a viable maintenance of a constituent, the opposition must retool,
redefine and realistically use strategy to make it more competitive.
Unrealistic political agender and refusal to fully evaluate issues
objectively will entertain deficits for the opposition.  I though, do
not advocate totally abandoning a sincere political principle.  The
rule of engagement will help in negotiating for a peaceful, democratic
and prosperous Gambia.  The opposition and the government must be sincere.

I no longer will embark on politics of destruction.  I believe that
we are one Gambia.  I believe that the opposition is integral in
nation building.  I yield that the opposition and the government should  be willing to work for the interest of The Gambia.  I advocate that politics should not divide us.  Both the opposition and the government  must be friendly and willing to put the country's interest first.

I am here to stay.  I no longer will engage in politics of ignorance.
Politics of indifference will yield no dividend for a prosperous
and democratic Gambia.  It is time to redefine political strategy.  The
opposition or the government should not be viewed as an enemy.  The
Gambia is our country.  We collectively can make it a better place to
live.  Please let us be understanding.

Finally, I will engage my opponents objectively.  I no longer will
entertain subjective political views.  It may be a right that some
may adovate, but it certainly is destructive.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh
Greensboro, NC/Kombo East Constituency

http://mail2web.com/ .