GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 15:45:25 EST
I have a sense you are trying to comment on the piece I wrote about Prime
Minister Chretien and his Africa Speech although it wasn't entirely clear
what you were addressing. You are entitled to your views regarding various
African leaders but what you cannot alter is their overall records and that
is what is going to determine the fates of their nations. You can insist that
Yahya Jammeh is the best thing to have happened to The Gambia in our
contemporary history and conjure up all the sophistry you can muster to
sustain that specious argument. The fact would still remain that Yahya Jammeh
has an awful record that is steeped in viciousness and corruption. As much as
you try, it is impossible to simply wish that conspicuous blight away. It is
part of his record and it is also the quintessential yardstick the civilized
world would always use in dealing with him. You can be impressed with him
notwithstanding his tyrannical tendencies, but don't expect decent folks to
take the hard earned monies of their people and subsidize a President who
would murder children and innocent people and mock them with contemptuous
legislation. They simply will not and that is why our people who are the
primary victims of these evil gov'ts will not readily enjoy the fruits of a
global system that is based on fundamental  laws of decency.
        It is not suprising apologists such as yourself can't bring
yourselves to say confidently that Gambia would take it's rightful place in
the family of nations. You know our country has consistently remained in the
category of nations where the government is yearly rebuked for maltreating
it's own citizens and siphoning scarce resources for the upkeep of a handful
of putrid people in the leadership. Your government is considered a terrible
regime and that is why The Gambia is always excluded from very broad agendas
designed to help our people. The regime we have is unworthy of our people. We
can do better and we certainly will. In the meantime take satisfaction in the
ugly category your gov't is in just don't pretend you deserve the respect
much less aid of people who actually care about the Gambian people. You are
not the example of the leadership Mr Chretien envisions as the kind of
partners the G8 will need to help the African people. You can make silly
comparisons amongst your own category of failed leaders or attempt to make
distinctions without differences. The world certainly won't wait for you
Karamba