GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:32:01 EST
Habib,

That is the scary thing indeed, that these kids have no one to make sure that
they are protected from this sort of thing. Even here in the U.S, with all
the competent law enforcement, laws  and other safeguards in place from the
community etc, it is still tough to battle this scrouge, so our kids are
definitely in danger. There is this problem and along with it, there are also the side
effects such as sexually transmitted diseases that this activity can spread
among the youth who are supposed to be our future.
The public in Africa are fair game for all sorts of things simply because our
governments are focused on other things, and the last thing on their agenda
are the people and their welfare, and this is just an example to highlight
that. The rulers are too busy amassing wealth and trying to forge ways to hold on
to power  and the politicians who are hoping to be in power are too busy
trying to device ways to replace them so they can also carry on along the same
lines. All of them are too busy to remember that they are supposed to be there to
serve the interest of all the citizens alike. The sad result is rampant
poverty that gets worse with time and desperation leads people to engage in
behaviour that is contrary to our culture and which is destroying our respectives
peoples.
Knowing Gambian society and the values we have always held dear, it is indeed
shocking to read that such things are happening in our country, and people
are treating it as just business as usual.
Yes, May Allah help us.

Jabou Joh