GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
chernob jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 10:57:29 PDT
Oftentimes, it is said, one's first impression is always the lasting
impression. If that's true, then my impression of Atlanta will be
perpetually ineffable. Visiting Atlanta for the first time was quite
scintillating. It opened up mind to new vistas of Gambian realities in the
US.

I particularly found the strong camaraderie amongst Gambians who gathered at
the July 4th festivities, very impressive. What's more, the Atlanta July 4th
committee, indefatigable and determined, put up good efforts to ensure the
success and viability of the program. But for the IJahman fiasco, all was
superbly handled.

I chanced upon old friends and classmates. And I also met loyal readers, who
expressed their unflinching support to me while as a  journalist in The
Gambia. All of a sudden, I was turned into a Hollywood celebrity, posing for
pictures with several people. "Once you graduate you should go back,Gambia
needs you," someone suggested. I agreed. But deep inside my mind, I reckoned
that the ghastliness and gung-ho political attitudes of our leadership will
make any honest-thinking Gambian sit up and take notice before ever
returning to The Gambia. The Gambia is now witnessing Idi Amin-style
kidnappings and political thuggery. This is not the way it used to be.

Interestingly, I discovered how easily recognizable I was. It was not not
difficult for some who already are familiar with my writings always
published alongside my photo. For those who didn't know me, it was something
of a suprise to see this young man after all these years of writing behind
the scenes. As I thronged through the crowd, I coul hear people
murmuring,"he's the one debating with PDOIS on the Gambia-L." My debate with
PDOIS naturally came up.

Someone, apparently a staunch supporter of PDOIS, took me to task. "I
enjoyed your writings, infact I still keep all your 1996 articles," he
revealed. "But you contradicted yourself," he chimed in. He was referring to
the article I wrote in 1996, in which I had argued that Jammeh's ban on
FOROYAA as a political organ, wasn't necessarily a violation of press
freedom, but a "clash between text-book reality and situational reality."
Halifa would later publish this article on the L, representing desperate
self-defence to ward off my criticisms.

Before I could engage this man in a debate, another bystander had already
butted in. He had critical views on PDOIS. I discovered the existence of two
diametrically opposed views. So I let the two slug it out themselves. They
all agreed that it was an interesting debate. I told them the second phase
of my debate with PDOIS will be even more interesting.

I enjoyed the chic, glamour and snappiness of Atlanta. I cruised through
Downtown, went in and out of nigthclubs and spoke with a number of Atlanta
residents. Their accent was funny. I laughed all the way. Honestly, Atlanta
is streets ahead of Detroit. The Motor City, with its cold, snowy winter, is
in no small measure, close to "Hotlanta" with its well-paved, multiple-laned
highways, and glitzy skyscrapers shimmering into full view and shooting
skywards.

But I had to temper my enjoyment in Atlanta with the sad realization that
here was a city where a number of fellow Gambians were slain. Atlanta like
every other place in the US, is a killing field! And as I luxuriated in
affable generosity, danced and sang in the cadence of Ndagga rhythms, played
wonderful soccer and met old and new friends, I fondly remembered fallen
Gambians in Atlanta. My heart went out to them.

I didn't like those bleached skins I saw in Atlanta. I saw a number of
Gambian sisters with bleached skins. It was disappointing! Actually, with
careful observation, Gambian girls in Atlanta and elsewhere are beautiful.
But you need good vision to spot out their beauty from their artificiality.
Anywhere I looked, I saw "Yellow Sisis". It was an ugly sight.

The Atlanta team deserved victory. It was a hard-won struggle for them,
having come out of imminent defeat at the hands of Carolina. Detroit wanted
to play against the home team. We would have enjoyed the sensation.
Unfortunately, poor refeering climaxing with sluggish defensive play, cost
us our first match against Miami. We made an early exit from the tournamnet.
Which was a shocker. Nevermind, we will make a comeback, next year, God
willing.

Perhaps, the Atlanta July 4th soccer committee should devise means whereby a
team could play atleast two matches, rather than just one, in the
qualification bid. Booted out of the tournament after just one match, can be
frustrating. Understandably, the exigencies of time and logistics frustrated
efforts in this regard. But if Atlanta came out with a formula in regards to
my suggestion, it would be a wonderful achievement for 2000.

Best regards,

Cherno B. Jallow
Wayne State. U.
Detroit, MI.