GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 11:05:21 -0400
Mr. Colly, again, I must start by commending you for your dedication to the
struggle and for your invaluable contributions. If it were not for you,
these stories would have gone untold. Or worse still, others might have told
the story, and people would doubt them. But the way you presented the facts
is simply irrefutable. You told what you saw and heard first hand. I join
you and hope that the other officers that were tortured outside your line of
vision would come out and say what actually happened. This will help
Gambians realize what kinds of animals we are dealing with.

In a way I was looking forward to hearing this rendition from you and the
central role Singhateh (the sadist) played in this matter. People should
understand that the vermin is STILL in power. We all thought that Sabally
was a loose-canon. But even if he was, the vermin is now impotent. I
understand when AFPRC tortured him, he was weeping like a small boy. What is
significant here is for people to see that when they encounter Singhateh,
they are looking at a sick puppy. Worst coward you can encounter. He needs
to get drunk before he can face his fellow men in combat. Besides that, the
coward is not even ashamed to handcuff a man (Mamat Cham), surround himself
(Singhateh) with guards, have an AK-47 and pretend that he is fighting with
Cham. This is just sickening. Like Kujabi said, one day this very Singhateh
will follow Sabally's footsteps and wail like a little puppy when we catch
up with him. Everyone knows that the vermin is a sadist coward. People
should not be fooled by his meek demeanor. He is just filled with
inferiority complex and lacks self-confidence. That is why he does not say
much. In order to measure up, they engage in some machismo and go get drunk
and torture people. Well, they will account for their actions. And this time
around, 'Dead Row' will mean exactly that. When they are tried and
convicted, they will all be hung like the cowards they are. None of them
will be taken to a firing squad and executed as honorable soldiers.
Henceforth, I will advocate that they be hung at Independence Stadium for
everyone to see. Animals.

Mr. Colly, another reason I was looking forward to this was to sensitize
people about the plight of Dumo et al. People have to understand the
conditions under which these innocent citizens are held. Remember, Singhateh
is still at the helm of the government. The sadist still calls some shots.
Yaya might have rendered him impotent to some extent. But Singhateh is still
free to exercise his animal behavior on other people so long as Yaya and his
Jola friends are spared. We have to fight for our political prisoners. No
Gambian deserves to be put under these horrendous and inhumane conditions. I
am glad that you lived to tell your story. The price you guys paid for being
smart, upright, and real soldiers is simply too expensive. Your only crime
was being decent soldiers that were not Jola. That is all.

Mr. Colly, please continue the tremendous work you are doing. I hope other
soldiers that were detained with you also come out with their stories. As
you know, your revelations have been well received by the Gambian public.
Families of the victims of the AFPRC/APRC are very thankful to you. I
personally thought I knew a  lot about some of these things, but each time I
read you, I discover some things that I never knew. The revelations about Pa
Johnson is a case in point. Fine soldier and a good man. Reading today about
Major Chongan, I discovered things I did not know before. I heard about how
he was singled out and taken out of the cells to the mock execution. What I
did not know was Singhateh's role and the torture that preceded the mock
executions. All I was told was that Chongan was taken out and the rest of
the prisoners never saw him again. The person that told me this was released
perhaps before Chongan rejoined you guys. At the time, I thought that we
were simply dealing with mental torture here. The vermin just wanted to
scare the rest of the officers. Now come to think of it, this was simply
wishful thinking on my part. I just did not want to believe that such a
horrible thing happened to a fine man like Chongan. I say this was wishful
thinking on my part because the gentleman that told me the story also
mentioned that there was blood all over the cell walls the following
morning. But Colly, to tell you the extent people are willing to go in order
to be in denial, I will reveal here my gullibility at the time. Because I
was so concerned about Chongan, I sought to explain to myself why the blood
was on the walls. I did not want to think about the obvious. I simply told
myself that the blood was also planted there by the vermin in order to scare
you people, but it was not from Chongan et al. I must tell you that up to
today, even though I know that what you said actually happened, I do not
want to believe it. I was somewhat relieved that you did not go into the
nitty-gritty of what happened to Chongan in particular. Not that I am
indifferent to the plight of Mamat Cham and others, it is just that I do not
know him as much as I know Chongan. It is not easy to accept that such
injustice has been meted on people you know. I am also happy that like you,
Chongan also lived through these inhumane conditions. What did he do wrong?
First and foremost he is not a Jola. Secondly, he was brave enough on July
22, 1994 to stand up and do his constitutionally mandated duty by defending
the legitimate government of the day. Unlike vermin like Antouman Saho,
Chongan did not roll over to let the vermin walk all over him.

I look forward to the day when you will get justice against the vermin that
abducted you, illegally incarcerated you, and tortured you. May they all rot
in Hell.
KB