GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 14:24:58 -0500
Mr. Gassama:

While I remain adamant for a constructive engagement with
the APRC/NCP coalition, I totally agree with the sentiments
raised by the UDP/PPP/GPP coalition.  Never before in The
Gambia's history were voters allowed to  change their voter                  card residencies after they were properly registered in different constituencies.

This is totally unacceptable in a democratic process.  How can
there be free and fair elections with such violations?  I hope
the IEC nullifies the cross-over voters.

As I said previously, I endorsed an invitation for national
development.  I cannot remain silent if the IEC
allowed cross-over votes from one constituency to another.  This
is very disturbing.

I hope President Jammeh realizes that such irregularities will               exhibit uncertainties and lack of trust in a genuine engagement.             Though I still affirm an acceptance of an olive branch,                      I cannot under any circumstances accept such violations.

Please let us be realistic in our politics.  It is unethical to
not condemn irregularities.  We must endorse democracy.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh
Greensboro, NC/Kombo East Constituency