GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M.B.Krubally" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 12:09:24 -0700
 Sidibeh, just remember the popular "Mandinka" saying " Taala buuka Buu nyema laa"
Momodou Krubally (Seattle)
  Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Haruna Darboe,

I find it rather amusing that instead of standing on your feet one week ago and speaking your mind you think it most fitting to steal a ride on Yusupha Jow's resignation statement to launch your ridiculous snipes at me.

So you do not know that Africa's culture is still largely oral? No doubt you cannot understand that in oral cultures the spoken word is everything. So you dishonestly conjure up your idiotic statements desperately trying to sound rhetotrical by being prissy :

"What about Gambia will be 70%electrified by july 2001? What about free education for girls? What about six feet deep? What about Koro? Dumo? What about Momodou and Modou? Kiss my you know what?"

Since your idea of unrestrained free speech is what is at issue here, perhaps you are inferring that insulting those in power should mitigate a little bit Dumo's miserable days in prison; or perhaps bring some comfort to Koro Ceesay's father in his protracted struggle to effect a decent investigation into his son's murder? You must be the silliest bloke on this list, lining up such gobs of gibberish that is supposed to pass for respectable lit crit lingo.
What you should do is this:

First tell Yusupha Jow that we do not sit at the "bantaba" in the company of our parents or older folk. Mandinka society's sophistication saw to it that people in the same age set flock together; and if you call anyone "jankading" at the bantaba, they will just break you mouth...E daa tey!

Secondly, if you, in the bunker security of your American home think that your revolutionary elan and urban radicalism is best advertised by becoming a venomous and rude SEARGENT GAMBIA, then you should consider that the response of those you insult could be to lash out their tyranny at the poor and defenceless Gambians nearest them! Your ilk, who lash out at a tyranny, like injured children, because you are incapable of designing a sensible strategy for bringing it down, are what Sweden's best known writer, Jan Guillou, calls useful idiots.

Thirdly, I should submit that, you Haruna Darboe, are not just a useful idiot: You are yourself a tyrant! a complete and unmitigated bully, lashing out at Edi Sidibeh just for the degenerated desire of humiliating him. Edi Sillybeh, you called him. What the fucking hell is wrong with you? Of course Edi has serious problems obeying the laws of English grammar! So I do not read him myself. But does that give you license to sprout horns everytime he writes something? Do you realise that English is an alien colonial languge to Edi, yourself and I? By humiliating anyone on this list because of their poor command of English perhaps frightens many others into remaining silent for fear that Her Majesty's sentinels like yourself will tell them to shut up! Do you remember me saying that English language is a de facto condition for full partition in the democratic life of Gambian society? Does it occur to you that anyone who cannot speak or write English is effectively prohibited from becoming Gambia's last desk clerk? While sensible people note that decent folk like Sidia Jatta (your PDOIS buddy) work tirelessly in correcting that cultural anomaly or at least mitigate its effects in the long run, you are busy hacking on Edi Sidibeh like a veritable tyrant whose mind, Ngugi W'a Thiongo should say, obviously needs serious decolonisation. And this incessant bullying to come from a champion of free speech? Obviously you have more tolerance for those who use that freedom to insult others, rather than those whose poor command of the grammar incapacitates their ability to respectfully transmit their opinion eloquently. Get down from that foolish pedestal of yours and learn the basics of solidarity: teach one, teach all. Have you ever heard of that? Stupid colonial elitism, sucking at masser's tongue! Go read your Fanon again!

But since you are in America, perhaps this will hit home harder!

Chris Rock says of a sobbing white man, who breathlessly retorts: "I have a beautiful wife, a big house, a wonderful car, a boat, I can go anywhere, and I have serious money at the bank! But I cannot say the word NIGGER!" Even in America, there is something called culturally sanctioned self censure. Yes Haruna, because this particular word hinders respectable dialog amongst people wanting to build a truely democratic and tolerant society. But perhaps you are one of those confused negroes who just as quickly would grin back at complete strangers who call you Nigger! and say to them "say it loud again".....in the name of free speech. What a useful idiot! Good-bye!

Momodou S Sidibeh, Stockholm/Kartong