GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 13:40:43 -0500
Ms.Bojang-Sissoho:
Your posting raised so many important issues that kept me awake last
night, issues that will need to be addressed now and in a post-APRC
Gambia.  Many Gambians can no longer settle for "politics as usual," the
"old-boy network" or politics as it was traditionally conceived and
played out by a predominantly professional-male, and middle-class set of
politicians. We must never return to the "current" and past "concepts"
of politics and must reevaluate as a society our expectations regarding
women and those that are traditionally marginalized in The Gambia.

In this regard, I think a national Conference is necessary in a
post-Jammeh Gambia where all, including the military and especially
women, the poor etc. have a say in what kind of Gambia they wish to see
built.  In fact, I believe the first post-Jammeh regime ought to be a
union government of national assessment and reconciliation.  It is from
this that a national development policy should derive. The idea of
SERVICE to NATION will need to be revisited.  In addition to the issue
of the masses/gender, I believe the following must be addressed head on:

1. The Global-economy and how The Gambia can position itself to reap
benefits and minimize its adverse effects;

2. The Gambia's growing population, high fertility rates and rural-urban
migration;

3.  The Debt problem;

4.  Education and relevance; re-evaluation of some of our cherished
values regarding who we are and where we wish to go and be as a nation.

The list can go on.  But we have a lot of serious thinking to do before
we begin the process of reconstruction and your posting is a good start.

The notion that opposition politicians at home are competent enough to
usher in the desired changes and that Gambians in the diaspora need only
send resources in support of their activities, is a view I find
untenable.  We need a New political vision and a culture of debate, and
tolerance.  Thanks for bringing up this very important issue.

Abdoulaye