GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Gajigo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 01:12:47 -0800
Habib,
No, you did not write that Saddam should stay in power and I didn't mean to
convey that in my piece. Nor did you write that US forces should withdraw.
All I did was extend the logic of our argument. If one does not think the US
should launch a military campaign against Saddam, then the US forces will
have to be returned back to the US. Without war, it's just not feasible to
maintain such a huge standing force indefinitely in the Middle East.

You made a point about the US not being consistent in terms of allies. I
can't argue with that. I don't know who coined this statement but I find it
particularly apt:
"nations don't have permanent allies but permanent interests." It goes
something like that. If we scrutinize the behavior of all countries across
time, we will find ourselves in a sea of inconsistencies. That is asking too
much of a country - even for a superpower. What I'm mainly interested in is
whether the US is justified in this particular case.

You also mentioned that some might favor the US bypassing the UN because
Iraq is a Muslim countries and the only casualties will be Muslims. I favor
bypassing the UN Security Council but certainly not because I don't care
about Muslims (I understand you didn't direct that at me). But whoever it is
directed at, it's charge certainly new to me.

Sorry I cannot address at this time all the points you raised in your email.
Hopefully, we will have time to touch them all.

Have a nice day.

Ousman